This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

RDDI Trace Clock Error

Hello,

I am writing a program using the RDDI API to stream trace from a DSTREAM-ST. The problem is that whenever I start up the DSTREAM-ST and then connect using RDDI from my program, the connection works fine, but once I begin tracing, the TRC_CLK light comes on and I don't get any events. However, if I connect using DS-5 first, disconnect in DS-5, close DS-5, and try to run the program again, the TRC_CLK  light is green and everything works (I get events and trace data, etc.). I can then run my program as much as I want until I turn the DSTREAM-ST off again. I cannot figure out why this occurs, and none of the RDDI functions in the API mention a trace clock. How do I sync the trace clock? Any ideas?

- Akira

Parents
  • Hi Akira,

My guess is that when DS-5 connects to your target it configures the RM57 CoreSight trace components to enable and route trace to the external trace connector. Hence trace works fine for DS-5 and for an RDDI-Trace program from then on. However from a target reset, without DS-5 connecting, when you run your RDDI-Trace program, the CoreSight components have not been configured and so no trace is being generated.

The RDDI-Trace API just deals with receiving trace data from a trace capture device. In your case the trace capture device is the DSTREAM box. When DS-5 connects to the RM57 it will use the RDDI-Debug API to configure the CoreSight devices (ETM, Funnels, TPIU...) to generate the trace data and then use the RDDI-Trace API to receive the trace data.

If my guess is correct, you have three choices:

• Always run DS-5 prior to your own program ;-)
    • Extend your own program to use RDDI-Debug to configure the CoreSight components
    • Use a DTSL program which uses the DS-5 configuration files (and so gets the target configured) and then processes the trace data itself. Actually you have two sub-options here;
      • Write a small DTSL program which just connects/disconnects to the target (as if DS-5 had connected/disconnected) and then run your existing native RDDI-Trace program
      • Port your RDDI-Trace native program to be a DTSL (Java or Jython) program

I realise there is quite a lot to digest here, so if you think my analysis is correct and need more specific help, just let me know.

Regards Tony

• Hi Akira,

My guess is that when DS-5 connects to your target it configures the RM57 CoreSight trace components to enable and route trace to the external trace connector. Hence trace works fine for DS-5 and for an RDDI-Trace program from then on. However from a target reset, without DS-5 connecting, when you run your RDDI-Trace program, the CoreSight components have not been configured and so no trace is being generated.

The RDDI-Trace API just deals with receiving trace data from a trace capture device. In your case the trace capture device is the DSTREAM box. When DS-5 connects to the RM57 it will use the RDDI-Debug API to configure the CoreSight devices (ETM, Funnels, TPIU...) to generate the trace data and then use the RDDI-Trace API to receive the trace data.

If my guess is correct, you have three choices:

• Always run DS-5 prior to your own program ;-)
    • Extend your own program to use RDDI-Debug to configure the CoreSight components
    • Use a DTSL program which uses the DS-5 configuration files (and so gets the target configured) and then processes the trace data itself. Actually you have two sub-options here;
      • Write a small DTSL program which just connects/disconnects to the target (as if DS-5 had connected/disconnected) and then run your existing native RDDI-Trace program
      • Port your RDDI-Trace native program to be a DTSL (Java or Jython) program

I realise there is quite a lot to digest here, so if you think my analysis is correct and need more specific help, just let me know.

Regards Tony

Children