This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Arm DS 5, J-Link EDU and Freescale IMX6 Sabber

I have currently got my hands on a Freescale IMX6 eval board and am trying to use ARM DS along with my J-Link EDU JTAG debugger to explore the embedded world; however, while my system can see the J-Link debugger the DS 5 software does not connect because is say something about needed a commercial license inside the J-Link (which is the Pro version of the hardware).  Now this would all be good if I was a commercial entity as that is the only difference (besides price) between the J-Link EDU and the J-Link pro; however, I am not so I was wondering is there some way to "Force" the DS software to register that fact that I am using my EDU version of the Hardware or do I need to figure out another means of exploring (such as GNU ARM and OpenOcd)?

Thanks.

-- Michael --

Parents
  • Hi Michael,

Unfortunately DS-5 doesn't support the Segger J-Link out of the box, although Segger do provide something of a hack to get it to work, ARM don't support it. If Segger's driver won't connect to your J-Link because it's an EDU and not a Pro, then you should take this up with Segger -- it isn't DS-5 that is doing the complaining because it hasn't got any idea what a J-Link is.

Of course, you could be slightly mistaken and it could be that DS-5 is complaining because you are not using a Professional license for DS-5 -- the license structure is such that Community Edition can't perform JTAG debug, and you need Professional or Ultimate for that. You can select those Toolkits from the ARM License Manager (it's in the Help menu in DS-5 Eclipse) and there's a 30-day evaluation license. Note that neither of these directly support the Segger J-Link, though.

Here's my question: which is it? Can you get a screenshot of the error?

• Hi Michael,

Unfortunately DS-5 doesn't support the Segger J-Link out of the box, although Segger do provide something of a hack to get it to work, ARM don't support it. If Segger's driver won't connect to your J-Link because it's an EDU and not a Pro, then you should take this up with Segger -- it isn't DS-5 that is doing the complaining because it hasn't got any idea what a J-Link is.

Of course, you could be slightly mistaken and it could be that DS-5 is complaining because you are not using a Professional license for DS-5 -- the license structure is such that Community Edition can't perform JTAG debug, and you need Professional or Ultimate for that. You can select those Toolkits from the ARM License Manager (it's in the Help menu in DS-5 Eclipse) and there's a 30-day evaluation license. Note that neither of these directly support the Segger J-Link, though.

Here's my question: which is it? Can you get a screenshot of the error?

Children
No data