This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Qualcomm 888/Cortex-X1 profiling

Good day everyone. I am new to the forums so I apologise in advance if I am posting in the wrong forum. I am looking to profile Android applications and collect hardware architectural counters (cache hit/miss rates, branch mispredictions, etc... as detailed as I can really) on newer mobile big.Little architecture (this is for my research project as school). I am looking to purchase a development board based on Qualcomm Snapdragon SOC:Snapdragon 888 Mobile Hardware Development Kit (https://developer.qualcomm.com/hardware/snapdragon-888-hdk). I have a question about profiling support for this SOC:

This SOC has what Qualcomm calls Kryo 680 CPU, which consists of: 1 x Kryo 680 Prime core (based on Arm Cortex-X1), 3 x Kryo 680 Gold core (based on Arm Cortex-A78), and 4 x Kryo 680 Silver core (based on Arm Cortex-A55). It says that these cores are based on Arm processors, and I was wondering if Arm-provided tools would be able to profile these cores. In particular I am looking at profiling the cores running Android 11 with Streamline Profiler of Arm Mobile Studio and later potentially Arm Development Studio. So my question is: will I be able to profile Android apps running on these cores with Streamline Profiler?

Another quick question related more to debugging hardware. The expansion board for this SOC has a 20 pin JTAG port. I know that JTAG is used for debugging and collecting traces. This is what I would be using it for. However, it  is kind of throwing me off that the JTAG is on the display expansion and not on the board itself. I am new to development boards and so I am wondering if JTAG is also used for anything graphics/display/sensor related or is it just a design decision made by Qualcomm to put JTAG connector on the display expansion? Does anyone have any experience with those Qualcomm Development Kits who could shed some light on this?

I am attaching the pdf with information about 888 Development kit in question.snapdragon-888-mobile-hdk-product-brief_87-pu790-1 (2).pdf

Thank you very much,

Pavel.