This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ARMv7: How to set SP in secure and non secure mode ?

Hello,

I'm working on Raspberry PI2, ARMv7 and now specifically trying the secure modes.

I managed to get the PI start in secure state, then here I can set the SP for all the modes I intend to use in secure state, like IRQ, SVC, etc.

But I also would like to set the SP of these modes in NON secure state (I understand secure and non secure mode have their respective separate SP).

Currently, I trigger a Monitor call to set the NS bit (I will leave the secure state) then I try setting the SP with:

@ Prepare NS modes usage : set NS bit
  mrc p15, 0, r4, c1, c1, 0            @ R4 = SCR
  orr r4, r4, #0x0001                  @ Set NS
  mcr p15, 0, r4, c1, c1, 0            @ write SCR (with NS bit set)
  isb

@ Set IRQ Mode non secure SP
  mov r0, #(CPSR_MODE_IRQ+CPSR_IRQ_INHIBIT+CPSR_FIQ_INHIBIT)
  msr cpsr_c, r0                       @ UNDEF EXCEPTION TRIGGERRED HERE !!!!
  ldr sp, =__nsIRQ_stack_core0

However, this does not work properly: the MSR triggers here an undef exception. Strangely, when I later read sp_irq, it seems it took the desired value.
Also, when latter I return in secure state, the secure SP (eg IRQ one here) seems to be lost: value of sp_irq is the one set above.

Do you know the reason of this undef ?

Thanks for any hints here, I'm very confused with the stacks settings/usage between secure and non secure mode.

Alexandre

Parents
  • The manual says that "The ARM core registers and the processor status registers are not Banked between the Secure and the Non-secure states. ARM expects that, when switching execution between the Non-secure and Secure states, a kernel running mostly in Monitor mode will switch the values of these registers."

sp_mon is a banked register available in the monitor /mode/ (which always runs in the secure /state/), but a register such as sp_irq is not banked between secure and non-secure states of the irq mode.

Also from the manual is the recommendation: "The usual mechanism for changing from Secure to Non-secure state is an exception return.To return to Non-secure state, software executing in Monitor mode sets SCR.NS to 1 and then performs the exception return."

• The manual says that "The ARM core registers and the processor status registers are not Banked between the Secure and the Non-secure states. ARM expects that, when switching execution between the Non-secure and Secure states, a kernel running mostly in Monitor mode will switch the values of these registers."

sp_mon is a banked register available in the monitor /mode/ (which always runs in the secure /state/), but a register such as sp_irq is not banked between secure and non-secure states of the irq mode.

Also from the manual is the recommendation: "The usual mechanism for changing from Secure to Non-secure state is an exception return.To return to Non-secure state, software executing in Monitor mode sets SCR.NS to 1 and then performs the exception return."

Children