This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Arm Instruction Set (Thumb-2)

Hi , I am New to this Community

I am Studying now Cortex-M3 .. I am reading Joseph Yiu book...

I am Confused in the part of the instruction set , and I couldn't get the following:

as i understand that some of the original ARM 32-bit instructions are 32-bit encoded and could be Executed as 32-bit instruction

if the processor in Thumb mode otherwise in ARM mode All instructions should be only 32-bit ... Thumb-2 Allow Execution of both 16-bit and 32 bit instructions .....Now my questions :

1) 16-bit Thumb instructions are subset of the original ARM but 16-bit encoded , but in Thumb-2 the rest 32-bit instructions where did they come from , are they are the rest of the ARM ISA that where not 16-bit encoded ?

2) I read that some instructions could be represented as 16-bit or 32-bit equivalent , Now why and How an instruction could have two formats(16- and 32- ) please give an example .

3) how could I group instructions into three groups (16- bit only) , (32-bit only) , (could be represented as either)?

please elaborate ...

thanks

Parents
  • At first I recommend to check out ARM ARM (DDI0100i) which lists all instructions. Also DDI0406C which tells you for each instruction which architecture (4T, 5T, 7) it supports.

The original Thumb ISA was in fact just a short-hand coding of the ARM instruction, but not all ARM instruction were represented. So for certain  jobs one had to use ARM 32bit ISA. Thumb-2 instead is a real ISA and they added instructions from ARM 32 bit world to allow staying in Thumb-2 mode. Since there was no more space left in the 16bit encoding, 32bit instruction were needed.
    As to my knowledge there are no 32bit Thumb-2 instruction which to 100% the same thing as a 16bit instruction.
    Very often the 32bit variant (e.g. ADC) uses 3 registers whereas the 16bit version only 2.
    Again, read the instruction set listed in DDI0406C.

• At first I recommend to check out ARM ARM (DDI0100i) which lists all instructions. Also DDI0406C which tells you for each instruction which architecture (4T, 5T, 7) it supports.

The original Thumb ISA was in fact just a short-hand coding of the ARM instruction, but not all ARM instruction were represented. So for certain  jobs one had to use ARM 32bit ISA. Thumb-2 instead is a real ISA and they added instructions from ARM 32 bit world to allow staying in Thumb-2 mode. Since there was no more space left in the 16bit encoding, 32bit instruction were needed.
    As to my knowledge there are no 32bit Thumb-2 instruction which to 100% the same thing as a 16bit instruction.
    Very often the 32bit variant (e.g. ADC) uses 3 registers whereas the 16bit version only 2.
    Again, read the instruction set listed in DDI0406C.

Children