This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ARMV8 48-vs-52-bit mode

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using 48-bit -vs- 52-bit addressing in armv8 processors?  Other than the obvious 52-bit gives more address space are there any drawbacks to use it etc..?

thx

Parents
  • Well extra software and hardware is needed to implement it. I don't think the extra level in the page tables will have a noticeable space or time penalty. I can't think of anything this particularly helps in software besides just providing more space.  On the plus side if you have a system that needs enough physical memory to require it I think you'll have definite bragging rights. ;-)

• Well extra software and hardware is needed to implement it. I don't think the extra level in the page tables will have a noticeable space or time penalty. I can't think of anything this particularly helps in software besides just providing more space.  On the plus side if you have a system that needs enough physical memory to require it I think you'll have definite bragging rights. ;-)

Children
No data