This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cortex M4, guidance for an i/o assembly tuition

I have two month ago started to familiarise myself with programming my Cortex M4, with C and just getting very well aquainted. As my background is in the ATMEL, Motorola, Zilog 8/16 bit assembly arena, the learning curve is rather steep- as you probably agree with me. ?  Do you know a good i/o assembly tuition. ?

Thanking you.

Parents
  • In most applications there isn't many good reasons for using assembly, perhaps except if you need to get exact timing in certain control operations. Modern C compilers normally can do a very good job in optimizing the generated code, and using C code is much more portable and much easier (the device driver header files are prepared for C/C++).

The instruction set for Cortex-M4 can be found in Cortex-M4 Device Generic User Guide : infocenter.arm.com/.../index.html
    On the internet there are also many resources on assembly language programming on Cortex-M processors. (Just google for cortex m assembly tutorial, a lot of them are focus on Cortex-M0, which is a good starting point for learning). Basic understanding at the assembly level can help debugging, but for general coding I would stay with C/C++ :-)

• In most applications there isn't many good reasons for using assembly, perhaps except if you need to get exact timing in certain control operations. Modern C compilers normally can do a very good job in optimizing the generated code, and using C code is much more portable and much easier (the device driver header files are prepared for C/C++).

The instruction set for Cortex-M4 can be found in Cortex-M4 Device Generic User Guide : infocenter.arm.com/.../index.html
    On the internet there are also many resources on assembly language programming on Cortex-M processors. (Just google for cortex m assembly tutorial, a lot of them are focus on Cortex-M0, which is a good starting point for learning). Basic understanding at the assembly level can help debugging, but for general coding I would stay with C/C++ :-)

Children
No data