This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

migration from ARM to AVR

I would like to know if there is any tool for migrating from ARM mcu's to Atmel? can any one help me on this topic?

Parents
  • Hi Norman,

If the design that you would like to migrate is utilizing the full capabilities of the ARM MCU that you used, you can hardly achieve your goal at present.

With 8-bit AVR, here are the hindrances

• you will be switching from 32-bit to 8-bit (16-bit arithmetic supported) architecture
    • your previous ARM MCU runs at 168 MHz, you only have up to 32 MHz for 8-bit AVR
    • the size of the Flash memory will be reduced from 2 MB to 384 KB
    • Currently, I am not aware of 8-bit AVR with RAM close to 256 KB.
    • ARM Cortex-M4F MCUs have hardware support for DSP and floating-point arithmetic.

The 32-bit AVR UC3 microcontrollers have support for DSP and the C-Series include an integrated FPU but the fastest devices run only up to 66 MHz and the largest Flash memory is only 512KB.

Christopher Seidl wrote:

Edit: I just saw that you are looking for a migration guide to Atmel - I don't think that you will find that here

It is common for companies to produce a guide for migration to their products. What you want to do is the opposite, to migrate from ARM to other architecture. Logically and understandably ARM will not create a document for a purpose that is unfavorable to them. Nevertheless, the responses that you obtained from this forum, though not official, are valuable and provide you the guidance that you seek.

Regards,

Goodwin

• Hi Norman,

If the design that you would like to migrate is utilizing the full capabilities of the ARM MCU that you used, you can hardly achieve your goal at present.

With 8-bit AVR, here are the hindrances

• you will be switching from 32-bit to 8-bit (16-bit arithmetic supported) architecture
    • your previous ARM MCU runs at 168 MHz, you only have up to 32 MHz for 8-bit AVR
    • the size of the Flash memory will be reduced from 2 MB to 384 KB
    • Currently, I am not aware of 8-bit AVR with RAM close to 256 KB.
    • ARM Cortex-M4F MCUs have hardware support for DSP and floating-point arithmetic.

The 32-bit AVR UC3 microcontrollers have support for DSP and the C-Series include an integrated FPU but the fastest devices run only up to 66 MHz and the largest Flash memory is only 512KB.

Christopher Seidl wrote:

Edit: I just saw that you are looking for a migration guide to Atmel - I don't think that you will find that here

It is common for companies to produce a guide for migration to their products. What you want to do is the opposite, to migrate from ARM to other architecture. Logically and understandably ARM will not create a document for a purpose that is unfavorable to them. Nevertheless, the responses that you obtained from this forum, though not official, are valuable and provide you the guidance that you seek.

Regards,

Goodwin

Children