This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Modified harvard architecture

Hello,

I am preparing for the AAE. ARM is a modified Harvard architecture. What is this about ? I searched in internet and got various answers.

Can anyone tell me exactly what is this modified Harvard architecture in ARM's point of view ? Please point to any relevant literature.

Regards,

Deepu

Parents
  • Hello,

I think Deepu wants to know the meaning of 'modified'.

That is, it would be differences between 'true' and 'modified'.

As everyone knows what the Harvard architecture is, it has two kind of buses for instructions and data.

The true Harvard architecture means instruction memory and data memory are separated. It comes from that Harvard Mark-I fetches instruction from a punched tape and load or store data from/to relay arrays.

The word 'modified' means instruction memory and data memory are the same though their buses are separated.

Of course, in such the configuration, the performance will be low.

Therefore, the modified Harvard architecture means the instruction and data separated caches of which data sources would be the same memory.

I hope this help you.

Best regards,

Yauhiko Koumoto.

• Hello,

I think Deepu wants to know the meaning of 'modified'.

That is, it would be differences between 'true' and 'modified'.

As everyone knows what the Harvard architecture is, it has two kind of buses for instructions and data.

The true Harvard architecture means instruction memory and data memory are separated. It comes from that Harvard Mark-I fetches instruction from a punched tape and load or store data from/to relay arrays.

The word 'modified' means instruction memory and data memory are the same though their buses are separated.

Of course, in such the configuration, the performance will be low.

Therefore, the modified Harvard architecture means the instruction and data separated caches of which data sources would be the same memory.

I hope this help you.

Best regards,

Yauhiko Koumoto.

Children