This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why do you use Cortex-M?

Hello everyone,

I would like to know why you are using Cortex-M microcontroller.

Why don't you adopt other microcontrollers such as 8-bit, 16-bit or MIPS or x86?

The background is that I plan to write a special article regarding Cortex-M on the Interface which is the monthly magazine of Japan published by CQ publishing. However, I cannot say why Cortex-M should be featured because Cortex-M is already famous and almost common sense of microcontrollers. I would like to get exclusive (or special) meanings to introduce Cortex-M nowadays. Please let me know the significance of Cortex-M.

Thank you and best regards,

Yasuhiko Koumoto.

Parents
  • Nice points by jensbauer.

Would like to add a couple more.

1. I was fascinated to Cortex-M because of the range it offers. Starting from Cortex-M0 upwards to M7 now, the number of devices available are really vast. This has the benefit that if I want to develop a very small product low cost (Let's say some handheld battery powered, or the wearable kind), there is a good choice M0. At the same time, if I want to develop quite a complex product needing lot more computing power, DSP or more number of I/Os, peripherals like Ethernet, USB.. Yes I can go for M4 or M7.

2. The added advantage of this range is you can keep using the same tools so don't need more and more investment per product.

3. Since ARM is very popular, it is easier to get engineers to work on the ARM processors than to get people with expertise on some other. (This is comparative, not saying that we don't get people for other processors).

4. CMSIS makes it a bit easier to write a uniform code.

5. There is also choice of different vendors. Although the code may not be directly portable from one vendor's processor to another, still it gives a peace of mind that choice is available without major disruptions to the software.

Hope it helps. Do send us a link of the article (if it is in English !)

• Nice points by jensbauer.

Would like to add a couple more.

1. I was fascinated to Cortex-M because of the range it offers. Starting from Cortex-M0 upwards to M7 now, the number of devices available are really vast. This has the benefit that if I want to develop a very small product low cost (Let's say some handheld battery powered, or the wearable kind), there is a good choice M0. At the same time, if I want to develop quite a complex product needing lot more computing power, DSP or more number of I/Os, peripherals like Ethernet, USB.. Yes I can go for M4 or M7.

2. The added advantage of this range is you can keep using the same tools so don't need more and more investment per product.

3. Since ARM is very popular, it is easier to get engineers to work on the ARM processors than to get people with expertise on some other. (This is comparative, not saying that we don't get people for other processors).

4. CMSIS makes it a bit easier to write a uniform code.

5. There is also choice of different vendors. Although the code may not be directly portable from one vendor's processor to another, still it gives a peace of mind that choice is available without major disruptions to the software.

Hope it helps. Do send us a link of the article (if it is in English !)

Children
No data