This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

LPC1768 - Network-on-Chip

Hi, im new to ARM mbed. Im using LPC 1768. Anyone know is it suitable apply in network-on-chip project? if no which platform is more suitable. What type of network-on-project i can do. Any suggestion.

Parents
  • If you have the mbed board, then the only additional component you need is a RJ45 connector, which is compatible.

Unfortunately, I do not know which ethernet PHY is on the board, so I don't know which RJ45 connector type would work.

If you're inter-connecting two mbed boards without connecting them to a LAN or WAN (that is: connecting the two boards to eachother), then you can skip the RJ45 connectors.

You can use LPC1768 for 10/100 netowrk if you wish.

-But you'll need an ethernet PHY.

For instance, Micrel Inc.makes some great PHYs.

You can choose between two interfaces:

1: MII (abbreviation for "Media Independent Interface")

2: RMII (abbreviation for "Reduced Media Independent Interface")

The difference is that RMII will use less pins, but RMII will give you 100 Mbits/sec, where MII will use more pins and give you 1.25 Mbits/sec.

Here's a couple of examples:

The KSZ8051 can be used for MII.

The KSZ041 can be used for both RMII and MII.

The above two PHYs are compatible with HanRun HR911105A.

-You can find other PHYs from this or other vendors, which will do just as well.

If speed is not an issue, then you can connect virtually any microcontroller to ethernet by using ENC28J60. Ready-made modules exist with these fitted.

If you need WiFi instead, you can use ESP8266 with your microcontroller. Ready-made modules cost around $4.

• If you have the mbed board, then the only additional component you need is a RJ45 connector, which is compatible.

Unfortunately, I do not know which ethernet PHY is on the board, so I don't know which RJ45 connector type would work.

If you're inter-connecting two mbed boards without connecting them to a LAN or WAN (that is: connecting the two boards to eachother), then you can skip the RJ45 connectors.

You can use LPC1768 for 10/100 netowrk if you wish.

-But you'll need an ethernet PHY.

For instance, Micrel Inc.makes some great PHYs.

You can choose between two interfaces:

1: MII (abbreviation for "Media Independent Interface")

2: RMII (abbreviation for "Reduced Media Independent Interface")

The difference is that RMII will use less pins, but RMII will give you 100 Mbits/sec, where MII will use more pins and give you 1.25 Mbits/sec.

Here's a couple of examples:

The KSZ8051 can be used for MII.

The KSZ041 can be used for both RMII and MII.

The above two PHYs are compatible with HanRun HR911105A.

-You can find other PHYs from this or other vendors, which will do just as well.

If speed is not an issue, then you can connect virtually any microcontroller to ethernet by using ENC28J60. Ready-made modules exist with these fitted.

If you need WiFi instead, you can use ESP8266 with your microcontroller. Ready-made modules cost around $4.

Children