This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ARM Cortex A9 flush cache

I'm measuring worst case execution time of an application. I would like to flush L1, L2 (Instruction and Data) cache and then begin my measurements.

Is it doable from user mode?

Processor: ARM Cortex A9

Parents
  • For the L1 caches, no.  The ARMv7-A/R Architecture Reference Manual says:

B4.2.1 Cache and branch predictor maintenance operations, VMSA

This section describes the cache and branch predictor maintenance operations. These are:

• 32-bit write-only operations

• can be executed only by software executing at PL1 or higher.

There might be a system call to request the OS does it for you.

The Cortex-A9 does not have a built-in L2 cache, but it is often paired with a L2C-310.  The controls of the L2C-310 are memory mapped, so strictly speaking it's a question of whether they are mapped to an address you have access to.  In practise it is very unlikely that the L2 cache's controls would be mapped into user space.

• For the L1 caches, no.  The ARMv7-A/R Architecture Reference Manual says:

B4.2.1 Cache and branch predictor maintenance operations, VMSA

This section describes the cache and branch predictor maintenance operations. These are:

• 32-bit write-only operations

• can be executed only by software executing at PL1 or higher.

There might be a system call to request the OS does it for you.

The Cortex-A9 does not have a built-in L2 cache, but it is often paired with a L2C-310.  The controls of the L2C-310 are memory mapped, so strictly speaking it's a question of whether they are mapped to an address you have access to.  In practise it is very unlikely that the L2 cache's controls would be mapped into user space.

Children
No data