This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What is the difference of l3d_cache_refill and ll_cache_miss_rd?

I am doing a performance profiling in Cortex-A78 Linux with perf, and I got following output, which confuses me.

Here is the data,

18,312,265      ll_cache_miss_rd          #   0.507 M/sec                    (28.64%)
       36,006,163      l3_cache_refill           #   0.996 M/sec                    (42.68%)

A78's TRM describes the followings

LL_CACHE_MISS_RD Last level cache miss, read.
• If CPUECTLR.EXTLLC is set: This event counts any cacheable read transaction which returns a data source of 'DRAM', 'remote' or 'inter-cluster peer'.
• If CPUECTLR.EXTLLC is not set: This event is a duplicate of the L*D_CACHE_REFILL_RD event corresponding to the last level of cache implemented – L3D_CACHE_REFILL_RD if both per-core L2 and cluster L3 are implemented, L2D_CACHE_REFILL_RD if only one is implemented, or L1D_CACHE_REFILL_RD if neither is implemented.

In my Cortex-A78 system, L3 is the last level, and the CPUECTLR.EXTLLC is 0, so ll_cache_miss_rd is a duplicate of L3D_CACHE_REFILL_RD, according to the TRM.

So I think these 2 counters should have similar number, but they are NOT, the refill event is double number of miss_rd event!

My questions are:

1. What is the real meaning of each event in Cortex-A78?

2. To count memory reading event, which event should be used?

Thanks,

-Tao