This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is it possible to read the raw L1/L2 cache data and tag bits on the Cortex-A9?

I've been digging through the Technical Reference Manual (TRM) for the Cortex-A9 and so far it seems that it's possible to gather data about events such as hit and miss rates, but there doesn't seem to be anything on reading the raw data and tag bits. I've seen that under the DS-5 that there is a tool to view the cache, but that it is "dependent on the exact device and connection method." I've also seen under the ARM11 TRM a number of cache debug options and registers. I've come to the conclusion that either the Cortex-A9 doesn't support reading raw cache data, or there exists some documentation I haven't found or some tool is required in order to access that.

In particular I'm working with Xilinx's Zynq-based ZC702 and it would be wonderful if I could take snapshots of the cache contents. I realize that there would be performance hits, but I would only need to do this every so often. Either from within the processor or with an external tool would work as well.

Do tools like the DSTREAM and/or DS-5 allow you to view and debug the L1/L2 caches and give you access to data/statistics that aren't available otherwise?

Parents
  • Hi,

The Cortex-A9 doesn't include any mechanism for directly reading the contents of the Level 1 cache, and assuming the Level 2 cache is the L2C-310 then this doesn't include a method to directly read the cache contents either.

Sorry this isn't much help, and I'm afraid I don't have any specific knowledge on the particular device you mention nor DSTREAM/DS-5, but hopefully someone else can weigh-in with some information on these.

Dave

• Hi,

The Cortex-A9 doesn't include any mechanism for directly reading the contents of the Level 1 cache, and assuming the Level 2 cache is the L2C-310 then this doesn't include a method to directly read the cache contents either.

Sorry this isn't much help, and I'm afraid I don't have any specific knowledge on the particular device you mention nor DSTREAM/DS-5, but hopefully someone else can weigh-in with some information on these.

Dave

Children