This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to jumpstart an ARM9 board from its SD slot?

I have found a low priced ($47 qty. 1) ARM-A9 Dual Core 1GHz Thin Client board that currently has an Embedded Linux OS along with an RDP 7.1 client.  There is an SD slot used to upgrade this board with different firmware.  Is the process for jumpstarting this type of board generic based upon ARM chip?  The manufacturer says that they are ok with my installing a different Thin Client program than RDP, but due to the small nature of the quantity I would be buying, they aren't particularly interested in helping with the project.

First, does anyone know a different, commercial ARM product in this price range with 3 USB, audio/mike, HDMI, VGA, Ethernet, 512M RAM, 512M Flash, SD slot etc.?  If so, is it programmable to allow new programs to be written to its flash memory?

If a different board is not comparable by price and features, is it possible to experiment with different ways to boot the device using uboot or some other tool?  I'm a complete beginner with ARM, so if the questions have inconsistencies or exhibit a lack of knowledge, please forgive...  The basic goal is to add a different Thin Client (Cendio's ThinLinc) instead of RDP.  I'm comfortable as a programmer, but I've never before tackled anything embedded like this.  The company that makes these boards is Chinese, and there is a huge communication barrier in speaking with their technicians, so I'm hoping that the ARM development community can shed light on this as to whether I need to give up, or whether jumpstarting these boards and reprogramming them is a reasonable proposition

Thanks,

Bill_VH

Parents
  • Hi Bill.

First of all: I do not have knowledge about thin clients, but I do know that many ARM based boards allow you to install Linux.

The SD card would be used for installing the new software. If you can install Linux, technically it would be possible to install anything, including a thin client. The process (simplified) is basically:

1. Download a ready-built SD card image from the net using a PC or Mac (or compile the software yourself).
    2. Write the image to the card.
    3. Insert the card in the device an turn it on.

It sounds like this is ARM Cortex-A9 (not ARM9, which is usually only around 400MHz).

Personally I just bought a CubieBoard2 last month, but a few days later I found out that the CS918 with a RK3188 would have been a better purchase.

Personally, I believe the following is the best buy right now (Price: $70):

CS918 RK3188 1.8GHz Quad Core Cortex-A9, HDMI, Ethernet, WiFi, 8GB Flash, 2G DDR3 RAM, MicroSD (not Mini), 2xUSB 2.0 Host, 1 x Micro USB, A/V connector, S/PDIF + Remote Control

Make sure you get the one with RK3188 chipset, not the A31s chipset! RK3188 is Cortex-A9, while A31s is Cortex-A7.

-I've seen some Web-pages about installing Linux on CS918, so it should be possible.

At some point, I might buy one of those and install Linux on it myself.

The hardest part will probably be to get rid of the Android logo.

-But I do believe that the board you mentioned will allow you to install Linux on it.

I think you would also find these interesting:

(I can't confirm that the last one can run Linux, but I do think it's a better candidate than the one you mentioned, since it has more RAM and more Flash memory)

Unfortunately I can't promise you that Linux will install on all of the boards, as I have not tried that myself.

My choice would be to try the CS918. If it did not work out, I would try the RK3066 based device (because it has more RAM and Flash memory than the other mentioned boards).

I can confirm, that CubieBoard and CubieBoard2 runs Linux (a debian variant called Cubian).

• Hi Bill.

First of all: I do not have knowledge about thin clients, but I do know that many ARM based boards allow you to install Linux.

The SD card would be used for installing the new software. If you can install Linux, technically it would be possible to install anything, including a thin client. The process (simplified) is basically:

1. Download a ready-built SD card image from the net using a PC or Mac (or compile the software yourself).
    2. Write the image to the card.
    3. Insert the card in the device an turn it on.

It sounds like this is ARM Cortex-A9 (not ARM9, which is usually only around 400MHz).

Personally I just bought a CubieBoard2 last month, but a few days later I found out that the CS918 with a RK3188 would have been a better purchase.

Personally, I believe the following is the best buy right now (Price: $70):

CS918 RK3188 1.8GHz Quad Core Cortex-A9, HDMI, Ethernet, WiFi, 8GB Flash, 2G DDR3 RAM, MicroSD (not Mini), 2xUSB 2.0 Host, 1 x Micro USB, A/V connector, S/PDIF + Remote Control

Make sure you get the one with RK3188 chipset, not the A31s chipset! RK3188 is Cortex-A9, while A31s is Cortex-A7.

-I've seen some Web-pages about installing Linux on CS918, so it should be possible.

At some point, I might buy one of those and install Linux on it myself.

The hardest part will probably be to get rid of the Android logo.

-But I do believe that the board you mentioned will allow you to install Linux on it.

I think you would also find these interesting:

(I can't confirm that the last one can run Linux, but I do think it's a better candidate than the one you mentioned, since it has more RAM and more Flash memory)

Unfortunately I can't promise you that Linux will install on all of the boards, as I have not tried that myself.

My choice would be to try the CS918. If it did not work out, I would try the RK3066 based device (because it has more RAM and Flash memory than the other mentioned boards).

I can confirm, that CubieBoard and CubieBoard2 runs Linux (a debian variant called Cubian).

Children