This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Question : The Definitive Guide to the ARM Cortex-M3

Note: This was originally posted on 11th December 2007 at http://forums.arm.com

Dear, all.

I am new in this forum.
Recently I studying Cortex-M3 core, so I bought book "The Definitive Guide to the ARM Cortex-M3" by Joseph Yiu.
This book is very good book and this explains most of unaswered questions by TRM or AALRM.

As I found some mistake in this book, I would like to feedback, but I could not find publisher's homepage. Then I found Josephe's name in this forum, I would like to ask here.

In page 42, there is fig 3.11 and 3.12 but this contents is same as fig 3.8 and 3.9.
Fig 3.8 and 3.9 should be some program list.

Can I get correct figure? Or where I should contact?
Please advise.

Kenichi
Parents
  • Note: This was originally posted on 20th January 2010 at http://forums.arm.com

Hi Dave,

There has been a lot of updates:
    -  the corrections listed on the errata document, as well as various other typo are corrected.
    - GNU tool chain (chapter 19) is completely changed. CodeSourcery tools has changed the C startup handling (CS3). Also, it covers retargetting handling in CodeSourcery tools.
    - CMSIS (Cortex Microcontroller Software Interface Standard) : the new Cortex-M3 device drivers from microcontroller vendors are based on CMSIS.  This allows much better compatibility between various device driver, embedded OS and middleware.
    - More C language examples.  Many examples in the first edition are written in assembly language.  The second edition provides both C language examples and assembly language examples.
    - More information about trouble shooting including common errors, hard fault handler example.
    - Features on Cortex-M3 revision 2 (r2p0), and how does it affect the applications.
    - Differences between Cortex-M3 and Cortex-M0, and software compatibility between them.
    - LabVIEW for ARM.  This is a new chapter about the LabVIEW embedded module for ARM.
    - Detailed instruction set from the ARM Cortex-M3 User Guide (replacing the previous instruction set table in appendix A)
    - Improved descriptions/illustrations on various topics. E.g. chapter 3 instruction set has overlapping information removed and some additional information added
    - New appendixes : CMSIS functions, CodeSourcery linker script, Debug connector arrangement

The "TI" version is not prepare by me.  I guess TI/Luminary might has licensed the copyright of the materials from the book publisher and modifying it to cover more information on their products.  But I don't have any details on that. Sorry.

regards,
    Joseph
  • Note: This was originally posted on 20th January 2010 at http://forums.arm.com

Hi Dave,

There has been a lot of updates:
    -  the corrections listed on the errata document, as well as various other typo are corrected.
    - GNU tool chain (chapter 19) is completely changed. CodeSourcery tools has changed the C startup handling (CS3). Also, it covers retargetting handling in CodeSourcery tools.
    - CMSIS (Cortex Microcontroller Software Interface Standard) : the new Cortex-M3 device drivers from microcontroller vendors are based on CMSIS.  This allows much better compatibility between various device driver, embedded OS and middleware.
    - More C language examples.  Many examples in the first edition are written in assembly language.  The second edition provides both C language examples and assembly language examples.
    - More information about trouble shooting including common errors, hard fault handler example.
    - Features on Cortex-M3 revision 2 (r2p0), and how does it affect the applications.
    - Differences between Cortex-M3 and Cortex-M0, and software compatibility between them.
    - LabVIEW for ARM.  This is a new chapter about the LabVIEW embedded module for ARM.
    - Detailed instruction set from the ARM Cortex-M3 User Guide (replacing the previous instruction set table in appendix A)
    - Improved descriptions/illustrations on various topics. E.g. chapter 3 instruction set has overlapping information removed and some additional information added
    - New appendixes : CMSIS functions, CodeSourcery linker script, Debug connector arrangement

The "TI" version is not prepare by me.  I guess TI/Luminary might has licensed the copyright of the materials from the book publisher and modifying it to cover more information on their products.  But I don't have any details on that. Sorry.

regards,
    Joseph
Children
No data