This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

On Cortex-M4F microcontrollers: is fixed point math faster or floating point?

Hi,

I am using S32K14x controllers (Coretx-M4F). It has floating point math unit. I need to perform many mathematical operations as fast as possible. Which will be faster: fixed point q16 or fixed point q32 or single precision (32 bit) floating point?

Regards,

Pramod

Parents
  • fixed point math (using the DSP instructions) is faster than floating point math (using FPU). But the difference is marginal

thanks for the feedback.

An issue often noted with fixed point is that, aside from the actual calculations, it adds overhead & complexity to the code which needs to supply the input data and/or use the results. So I guess one would need a wider benchmark to see if that tips the balance for the overall system ... ?

#FloatingVsFixedPoint

• fixed point math (using the DSP instructions) is faster than floating point math (using FPU). But the difference is marginal

thanks for the feedback.

An issue often noted with fixed point is that, aside from the actual calculations, it adds overhead & complexity to the code which needs to supply the input data and/or use the results. So I guess one would need a wider benchmark to see if that tips the balance for the overall system ... ?

#FloatingVsFixedPoint

Children