This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Support for dev/net/tun on Linux purecap (Debian)

I'm trying to make use of dev/net/tun to provide an interface for networked applications to my VPN software.

I'm working with the Morello board/SoC, and building Debian from the 1.5 release.

It seems dev/net/tun is not supported by default. After some investigation, I have found that it is not configured in linux\arch\arm64\configs\morello_transitional_pcuabi_defconfig. Setting CONFIG_TUN=y in there, I get a compilation error:

drivers/net/tun.c:3478:20: error: incompatible function pointer types initializing 'long (*)(struct file *, unsigned int, user_uintptr_t)' (aka 'long (*)(struct file *, unsigned int, unsigned __intcap)') with an expression of type 'long (struct file *, unsigned int, unsigned long)' [-Werror,-Wincompatible-function-pointer-types]
.unlocked_ioctl = tun_chr_ioctl,

Ok, so this is obviously one of the numerous cases where a 128-bit pointer isn't compatible with a 64-bit integer any more, requiring some porting work for Morello.

As a quick hack, I removed the offending entry (.unlocked_ioctl) from the initialisation of tun_fops to make the compilation error go away. The resulting build seems to work fine, and dev/net/tun works OK with my base ABI application.

I'm concerned that this quick hack will not hold up when I start using purecap ABI rather than base ABI.

So, I would like to know: is there a plan to include support for the tun driver?

I can see several 'Add PCuABI support to *** ioctls' issues raised against the code, but none that seems to cover this particular case, which seems to be of the same nature.

Thanks!

David