This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

[Vulkan] what should i do about this warning: BestPractices-vkCmdDrawIndexed-sparse-index-buffer

I'm getting this warning message when rendering meshes:

"[ UNASSIGNED-BestPractices-vkCmdDrawIndexed-sparse-index-buffer ]
Object 0: handle = 0x564eecccdf50, type = VK_OBJECT_TYPE_DEVICE; | MessageID = 0x9b6a1f08 | [Arm] The indices which were specified for the draw call only utilise approximately 5.89% of index buffer value range. Arm Mali architectures before G71 do not have IDVS (Index-Driven Vertex Shading), meaning all vertices corresponding to indices between the minimum and maximum would be loaded, and possibly shaded, whether or not they are used."

I think the problem is about using a u16 to represent the index.

I understand the warning, it looks like there is a possibility for vertices to be shaded even though they shouldn't be due to how some older Mali GPUs work.

Vulkan-ValidationLayers/+/HEAD/layers/best_practices_utils.cpp:2106

I'm merging several meshes in three buffers, one for index, position and another for normal + texcoord.

"Recommendations

• Store positional attribute data in one buffer.

• Interleave all remaining attributes in a second buffer."

https://developer.samsung.com/galaxy-gamedev/resources/articles/asset.html#interleavedvertexattributes

Meshes info:

(Monkey head) index type: u16, index count: 2904
(Cone) index type: u16, index count: 186
(UV Sphere) index type: u16, index count: 2880

Rendering is working perfectly but these warning messages keep popping up.

What should I do?