This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

instruction equivalent to movw,movt with position independent and PC relocatable.

Using movw and movt to load a label address into a register in Arm 32 architecture. but this is not position independent  code.

movw r1, #:lower16:ASM_NAME(forkx)
movt r1, #:upper16:ASM_NAME(forkx)

As per the manual also it specifies that it will be resolved at the link time.

Need a position independent code, so as per the manual adr, adrl can be used, but getting below error:

../asm-arm/unix_arm.S:115:1: error: unsupported relocation on symbol
adr r1, __be_forkx

../asm-arm/unix_arm.S:60:1: error: invalid instruction, did you mean: adr?
adrl r1, __be_forkx

it seems label can not be used in the aarch32, it is fine in aarch64 and works as intendent.

is the usage of adr command is improper? Is there a way to achieve this in aarch32?  is there any equivalent command that can be used?

Parents
  • ldr r1, =__be_forkx

That will cause a relocation to be emitted.

I will try this also, not able to understand this 100%, with this will i have address of forkx in r0?

Yes. Instead of storing the absolute address of forkx inside a literal, it now stores the distance between the instruction that wants the address of forkx and the forkx itself. That distance must remain constant, however, across multiple runs of the same binary.

• ldr r1, =__be_forkx

That will cause a relocation to be emitted.

I will try this also, not able to understand this 100%, with this will i have address of forkx in r0?

Yes. Instead of storing the absolute address of forkx inside a literal, it now stores the distance between the instruction that wants the address of forkx and the forkx itself. That distance must remain constant, however, across multiple runs of the same binary.

Children
No data