This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GPU's cycles in Streamline

Hi guys,

I need some clarification in regards to the GPU Active ($MaliGPUCyclesGPUActive) counter on a Mali-G76 (not really specific to this GPU though) in a Samsung S10e.

I'm getting a total of ~310 mega-cycles in 1 sec. From a quick look at the DVFS table file (found it in /sys/devices/platform/18500000.mali/dvfs_table) it seems the max frequency is 702MHz (for some reason I can't find any Arm official page with the max frequency of this GPU though) - and I'm relying in my interpretation of the values in there.

So, my question is, is it possible that the GPU is being underutilized or that DVFS has kicked-in (although I made sure to have the device running on top of an ice-pack); or both?

Cheers.

Parents
  • Hi JPJ, 

For some reason I can't find any Arm official page with the max frequency of this GPU though.

The max frequency entirely depends on the silicon implementation, so it can vary from device to device depending on silicon process, and target performance/area/power trade off used by our silicon partner.

So, my question is, is it possible that the GPU is being underutilized or that DVFS has kicked-in  

On mobile you'll be getting DVFS all the time; tuning CPU and GPU performance to match the workload demand is critical for getting good energy efficiency. 

In general for a high-end part like the S10 you nearly always want to run the GPU well below maximum frequency. The high core count is really designed to allow complex content to run at under-drive voltages to gain energy efficiency. Energy per operation is proportional to V^2 so high frequencies get expensive pretty quickly. Running well below 700 should be "normal" for this device, yes,

You can use the peak performance for short periods, but if you tried to run all the cores in a high-end device at max performance for a prolonged period you'd definitely overheat the device.  

HTH, 
    Pete

• Hi JPJ, 

For some reason I can't find any Arm official page with the max frequency of this GPU though.

The max frequency entirely depends on the silicon implementation, so it can vary from device to device depending on silicon process, and target performance/area/power trade off used by our silicon partner.

So, my question is, is it possible that the GPU is being underutilized or that DVFS has kicked-in  

On mobile you'll be getting DVFS all the time; tuning CPU and GPU performance to match the workload demand is critical for getting good energy efficiency. 

In general for a high-end part like the S10 you nearly always want to run the GPU well below maximum frequency. The high core count is really designed to allow complex content to run at under-drive voltages to gain energy efficiency. Energy per operation is proportional to V^2 so high frequencies get expensive pretty quickly. Running well below 700 should be "normal" for this device, yes,

You can use the peak performance for short periods, but if you tried to run all the cores in a high-end device at max performance for a prolonged period you'd definitely overheat the device.  

HTH, 
    Pete

Children