This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

I have few questions about guide which is Graphic and Compute development on Samsung chromebook.

Dear All,

Hi, I have few questions about linux on samsung chromebook

I followed all the instructions then successfully generated SD image and then installed x11 using script.

But when I start x11 windowing system, it only shows me one terminal frame window without anything. Is that right? I thought it will show me linux user interface like unity..

And the other question is if I see image file using viewer program based on terminal, it shows me kind of image but it consists of letters such as '?', '!'..

So now I cannot make sure about my OS system which is installed well or not.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Woojung Myung

Parents
  • Hi nightskyz,

Installing X11 on the system only installs a barebones X11 environment for you to verify X is starting correctly.

It installs:

xserver-xorg xinit openbox xfce4-terminal \

build-essential git autoconf libtool xorg-dev xutils-dev \

libdrm-dev libudev-dev libxcb-dri2-0

and the armsoc driver, with x being configured to use this in the xorg.conf file.  This is the bare minimum required to install and provide something to test X with.  Finally, the xintrc file is set such that openbox and xfce4-terminal are run when you start X.  As a result you are, as you said, expected to see a barebones "desktop" containing one XFCE4 terminal window to show that X is starting correctly.

The script does not automatically install a fully fledged desktop environment like Unity or Gnome shell for you to use.  The reason for this is that these heavier desktop environments use OpenGL for their hardware accelerated rendering which is not supported on Mali.  As a result these desktop environments will fallback to software rendering and so will be slow.  The hardware acceleration provided by Mali on the chromebook will accelerate OpenGLES content only.  See this thread on the Arch Linux forums for more of a discussion https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=171747.

To test the hardware acceleration on the system, I can suggest downloading the Mali OpenGLES SDK from Mali on Arm Developer, then building and running some of the samples.

As for your issues viewing a file using a terminal image viewer, I have never attempted this and so can't say if there is an issue in this case.  Does the output look the same when rendering on a desktop Linux system?  I would have thought that a console image viewer would render using symbols, unless on certain platforms it supports rendering to the console.

Hope this Helps,

Rich

• Hi nightskyz,

Installing X11 on the system only installs a barebones X11 environment for you to verify X is starting correctly.

It installs:

xserver-xorg xinit openbox xfce4-terminal \

build-essential git autoconf libtool xorg-dev xutils-dev \

libdrm-dev libudev-dev libxcb-dri2-0

and the armsoc driver, with x being configured to use this in the xorg.conf file.  This is the bare minimum required to install and provide something to test X with.  Finally, the xintrc file is set such that openbox and xfce4-terminal are run when you start X.  As a result you are, as you said, expected to see a barebones "desktop" containing one XFCE4 terminal window to show that X is starting correctly.

The script does not automatically install a fully fledged desktop environment like Unity or Gnome shell for you to use.  The reason for this is that these heavier desktop environments use OpenGL for their hardware accelerated rendering which is not supported on Mali.  As a result these desktop environments will fallback to software rendering and so will be slow.  The hardware acceleration provided by Mali on the chromebook will accelerate OpenGLES content only.  See this thread on the Arch Linux forums for more of a discussion https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=171747.

To test the hardware acceleration on the system, I can suggest downloading the Mali OpenGLES SDK from Mali on Arm Developer, then building and running some of the samples.

As for your issues viewing a file using a terminal image viewer, I have never attempted this and so can't say if there is an issue in this case.  Does the output look the same when rendering on a desktop Linux system?  I would have thought that a console image viewer would render using symbols, unless on certain platforms it supports rendering to the console.

Hope this Helps,

Rich

Children