This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

M4  M7 COMPARISION

Hi Folks,

Can you share some little information about Pro/Cons of ARM Cortex M7 towards current variance ARM Cortex M4?. I just screen that M7 has 6 deptth pipeline for instruction and it is best suit for DSP with high performance

• Hello,

how come are you so sure regarding DSP performance.

I think the less deeper pipeline would be the better.

Best regards,

Yasuhiko Koumoto.

• First of all: Most of the differences between the Cortex-M4 and Cortex-M7 bring only improvements.

I say most, because the Cortex-M7 cost a little more.

The short answer is that many instructions take less time to execute, for instance the Branch Predictor on the Cortex-M7 allows you to execute branches faster than on the Cortex-M4.

Another example is that the Cortex-M7 has two units for reading data from memory, which again means that it's able to read memory twice as fast.

The Cortex-M7 also has double-precision floading point support, where the Cortex-M4 only has single-precision.

Generally speaking, I would estimate the Cortex-M7 to be around 1.65 times faster than the Cortex-M4. That means ... a Cortex-M7 running at 100 MHz would feel like a Cortex-M4 running at 165 MHz.

Of course there are more benefits and improvements on the Cortex-M7, the above is just the main things I'm interested in.