This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Running armv7 binaries on armv8

Hi Experts,

I have binaries built for armv7 architecture, without rebuilding binaries can I run on armv8?. I think its possible, but wanted confirm is there any limitation?

Thanks,

Veeranna

Parents
  • It depends on the type of binary.

For something like a Linux application, then yes.  ARMv8-A includes AArch32, which provides backwards compatibility with ARMv7-A.  There are some limitations, such as the SWP instruction no longer being supported.  But these are types of things that applications are unlikely to be using (and were deprecated in ARMv7).

For baremetal, you have all the usual problems of using a binary from one platform on another. So you are going to need to do some degree of porting in most cases.

• It depends on the type of binary.

For something like a Linux application, then yes.  ARMv8-A includes AArch32, which provides backwards compatibility with ARMv7-A.  There are some limitations, such as the SWP instruction no longer being supported.  But these are types of things that applications are unlikely to be using (and were deprecated in ARMv7).

For baremetal, you have all the usual problems of using a binary from one platform on another. So you are going to need to do some degree of porting in most cases.

Children