• Start Address: 0x01
  • Transfer Size: 32-bits
  • Burst Type: INCR
  • Burst Length: 4-beats

What I Understand:

The slave requires the following information:

1. The lower bits of the start address.
  2. Byte lane strobe information.

For a 4-byte data transfer, the lower 2 bits of the address are important. Therefore, "2'b01" is provided to the slave, and the valid data range is from 0x01 to 0x03, activating the corresponding strobe.

In summary, an unaligned transfer occurs only during the first transfer, while subsequent transfers are aligned.

Questions:

1. Is my understanding correct regarding how this transfer proceeds?
  2. If 32'hFFFF_FFFF is transmitted during the first transfer, how will the [31:24] bits be handled?

I would appreciate your clarification on this matter.

Parents
  • For write transactions the subordinate device doesn't actually need to check the AWADDR LSBs as WSTRB will tell it exactly which byte lanes contain valid data.

With the 0x01 start address and AWSIZE indicating 32-bit (4 byte) wide transfers, the first data transfer can only transfer a maximum of 3 bytes, so WSTRB can indicate any of 4'b0000, 4'b0010, 4'b0100, 4'b0110, 4'b1000, 4'b1010, 4'b1100 or 4'b1110 (any combination with WSTRB[0] low).

For the 2nd, 3rd and 4th write data transfers WSTRB can assert any bytes as only the first transfer is unaligned to the transfer size.

The subordinate can see that byte lane 0 will not be used for the first transfer because of what AWADDR[1:0] indicated, but it would also need to check WSTRB to see exactly which of the allowed byte lanes ARE being used, so AWADDR[1:0] is redundant information here.

For your second question, the first transfer can only transfer a maximum of 24 bits of data, and these will be driven on WDATA[31:8]. What you drive on WDATA[7:0] is not defined, and not relevant to the transfer.

Note that as I said, only the first transfer is unaligned, so if you had intended to transfer 16 bytes of data to 0x1 upwards, you would instead need to use a 5-beat burst (AWLEN=0x4), AWADDR=0x1, and WSTRB=4'b1110, 4'b1111, 4'b1111, 4'b1111 and 4'b0001.

For reference you should find that figure A4.6 in the current version K of the AXI specification covers what I think you are describing here. It shows the byte lanes being used for a series of aligned and unaligned transfers on a 32-bit data channel. The second example sequence is this unaligned 4-beat 32-bit burst to 0x01 that you are describing,

• For write transactions the subordinate device doesn't actually need to check the AWADDR LSBs as WSTRB will tell it exactly which byte lanes contain valid data.

With the 0x01 start address and AWSIZE indicating 32-bit (4 byte) wide transfers, the first data transfer can only transfer a maximum of 3 bytes, so WSTRB can indicate any of 4'b0000, 4'b0010, 4'b0100, 4'b0110, 4'b1000, 4'b1010, 4'b1100 or 4'b1110 (any combination with WSTRB[0] low).

For the 2nd, 3rd and 4th write data transfers WSTRB can assert any bytes as only the first transfer is unaligned to the transfer size.

The subordinate can see that byte lane 0 will not be used for the first transfer because of what AWADDR[1:0] indicated, but it would also need to check WSTRB to see exactly which of the allowed byte lanes ARE being used, so AWADDR[1:0] is redundant information here.

For your second question, the first transfer can only transfer a maximum of 24 bits of data, and these will be driven on WDATA[31:8]. What you drive on WDATA[7:0] is not defined, and not relevant to the transfer.

Note that as I said, only the first transfer is unaligned, so if you had intended to transfer 16 bytes of data to 0x1 upwards, you would instead need to use a 5-beat burst (AWLEN=0x4), AWADDR=0x1, and WSTRB=4'b1110, 4'b1111, 4'b1111, 4'b1111 and 4'b0001.

For reference you should find that figure A4.6 in the current version K of the AXI specification covers what I think you are describing here. It shows the byte lanes being used for a series of aligned and unaligned transfers on a 32-bit data channel. The second example sequence is this unaligned 4-beat 32-bit burst to 0x01 that you are describing,

Children
No data