Can I Access Cacheable Areas with Data Cache Disabled?

Hi Community!

■ Issue Description
Errors occur in the burst waveform when accessing external SRAM. The test conditions are as follows:

- MMU enabled

- Data cache disabled

- Page table of the external SRAM area set as cacheable (== write-back/read-write/allocate)

■ Inquiry
I'm inquiring whether it is permissible to access cacheable areas (== write-back/read-write/allocate) with the data cache disabled.

If anyone could help regarding this , then it would solve a long standing problem for me.

Regards

• I'm inquiring whether it is permissible to access cacheable areas (== write-back/read-write/allocate) with the data cache disabled.

By data cache disabled, do you meant that SCTLR_ELx.C is cleared to 0?

If so, yes - it is legal to access regions marked as cache-able in the MMU translation tables with C=0.  In the Arm ARM (K.a) you want section D7.5.5 "Enabling and disabling the caching of memory accesses".  That says that if you set SCTLR_ELx.C to 0 then the all stage 1 translations will come out as data non-cacheable (so, effectively overriding what you put in the tables).

From the software side you have to be careful to avoid accessing the location as both cacheable and non-cacheable.  That can lead to some interest cache coherency problems.

I'm afraid this answer probably doesn't help much in understanding the error in your waveforms, sorry.

• The CPU is able to access regions marked as cacheable when data cache is off, I measured that CPU speed would be 20X slower with data cache off.