Can FVP Corstone SSE-300 run on Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)?

Hi, I want to know if FVP Corstone SSE-300 can run on Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)?.

Parents
  • FYI, I was able to run the FVP_Corstone_SSE-300 v11.24.13 on WSL2 (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS). My Windows version is 22H2 (You can check your Windows version by the "winver" command).

$ lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
    Release:        22.04
    Codename:       jammy

Below are the packages that I needed to install for running the FVP.

sudo apt update ## This was needed. Without this, xterm wasn't found
    sudo apt upgrade
    sudo apt install xterm
    sudo apt install libatomic1

Some notes:

1. About running FVP in Virtual Machines (VMs) such as WSL2, FVP and Fast Models don't officially support WSL2. FVPs running in a VM are just client apps so whether or not they can run in a VM totally rely on how well VMs replicate guest OSes such as Ubuntu. So, users should keep in mind that the fact that FVP works in a VM doesn't mean that this is guaranteed or supported. If any issue occurs in a VM and you need assistance, you will have to go back to a native OS to see if the same issue is reproducible in a native OS. Having said that, VM technologies are becoming very mature, hopefully chances are quite low that you encounter such a VM issue.
    2. About Ubuntu version, I've chosen Ubuntu 22.04 LTS because v11.24 of FVP and FM supports Ubuntu 22.04 - See this link in Fast Models User Guide (FM UG) v11.24. If you use an older version, you should check the corresponding version of FM UG about what OSes are supported by the FM/FVP version that you use. Please note that FVPs are generated by FM so the requirements for FM are applied to FVP as well.
  • FYI, I was able to run the FVP_Corstone_SSE-300 v11.24.13 on WSL2 (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS). My Windows version is 22H2 (You can check your Windows version by the "winver" command).

$ lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
    Release:        22.04
    Codename:       jammy

Below are the packages that I needed to install for running the FVP.

sudo apt update ## This was needed. Without this, xterm wasn't found
    sudo apt upgrade
    sudo apt install xterm
    sudo apt install libatomic1

Some notes:

1. About running FVP in Virtual Machines (VMs) such as WSL2, FVP and Fast Models don't officially support WSL2. FVPs running in a VM are just client apps so whether or not they can run in a VM totally rely on how well VMs replicate guest OSes such as Ubuntu. So, users should keep in mind that the fact that FVP works in a VM doesn't mean that this is guaranteed or supported. If any issue occurs in a VM and you need assistance, you will have to go back to a native OS to see if the same issue is reproducible in a native OS. Having said that, VM technologies are becoming very mature, hopefully chances are quite low that you encounter such a VM issue.
    2. About Ubuntu version, I've chosen Ubuntu 22.04 LTS because v11.24 of FVP and FM supports Ubuntu 22.04 - See this link in Fast Models User Guide (FM UG) v11.24. If you use an older version, you should check the corresponding version of FM UG about what OSes are supported by the FM/FVP version that you use. Please note that FVPs are generated by FM so the requirements for FM are applied to FVP as well.
Children
No data