This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Regarding Strobe IN AXI4

"The WSTRB[n:0] signals when HIGH, specify the byte lanes of the data bus that contain valid information. There
is one write strobe for each eight bits of the write data bus, therefore WSTRB[n] corresponds to
WDATA[(8n)+7: (8n)].
A master must ensure that the write strobes are HIGH only for byte lanes that contain valid data."   -- -->
THIS WHAT GIVEN IN AXI4 PROTOCOL SPECIFICATIONS

Like I am having a confusion here what exactly it indicates like i am presenting the possible use cases and could someone tell me whether my assumptions are correct!!

I am taking WDATA BUS width as 128 bits wide and WSTRB corresponds to 16 bits 

USE CASE- I

MASTER                                                  SLAVE

ADDR:0
Transfer Size: 16 bits                                     Slave will receive data as 2 like strb 1 indicate like [7:0] are valid bytes
Transfer Length: Single beat
Data to be written is 2
Burst type: Fixed
Strobe  here is 1 

USE CASE- II

Transfer Size: 16 bits                          In this case strobe is 2 therefore [15:8]  is a valid byte and slave would read the value as 0 or the master will tend to shift the data "2" in [15:8] and the slave would read that shifted data
Data to be written is 2
Strobe  here is 2

USE CASE- III

Transfer Size: 16 bits                                   like strb 3 indicate like [7:0] and [15:8] are valid bytes and so slave would read data as 02
Data to be written is 2
Strobe  here is 3

Could someone tell me out of these three test cases which test case is correct and if possible could you give me a solution for it....As Wstrobe indicates these are the valid bytes in the particular data bus and whether master should often obey the strobe signal and based on that it should write the data into the slave memory locations..

Parents
  • CASE-I

the master indicates a transfer maximum width of 16-bits, and with AWADDR=0 this indicates that WDATA[15;0] could be used. WSTRB then has value 16'b0000_0000_0000_0001 indicating only byte lane 0 (WDATA[7:0]) contains valid data for this transfer, so the 8-bit valid data is 0x2.

CASE-II

the same as CASE-1, but this time WSTRB=16'b0000_0000_0000_0010, indicating only WDATA[15:8] contains valid data. If the master intends 0x2 to be written, it would need to shift the 0x2 up to the WSTRB indicated byte lane. If the master intends that the original data to be written was 0x02, it wouldn't be shifting the bytes and 0x0 would be the valid data.

CASE-III

this time uses WSTRB=16'b0000_0000_0000_0011, so is saying that both possible byte lanes contain valid data, and it would be 0x02 that would be written to the slave.

All three cases are legal AXI, so it just depends on what you actually wanted to write to the slave. Do you want to update both bytes at addresses 0x0 and 0x1 (CASE-III), or just one of them (CASE-I or CASE-II), and in which case, what was the single byte of data you intended to write ?

• CASE-I

the master indicates a transfer maximum width of 16-bits, and with AWADDR=0 this indicates that WDATA[15;0] could be used. WSTRB then has value 16'b0000_0000_0000_0001 indicating only byte lane 0 (WDATA[7:0]) contains valid data for this transfer, so the 8-bit valid data is 0x2.

CASE-II

the same as CASE-1, but this time WSTRB=16'b0000_0000_0000_0010, indicating only WDATA[15:8] contains valid data. If the master intends 0x2 to be written, it would need to shift the 0x2 up to the WSTRB indicated byte lane. If the master intends that the original data to be written was 0x02, it wouldn't be shifting the bytes and 0x0 would be the valid data.

CASE-III

this time uses WSTRB=16'b0000_0000_0000_0011, so is saying that both possible byte lanes contain valid data, and it would be 0x02 that would be written to the slave.

All three cases are legal AXI, so it just depends on what you actually wanted to write to the slave. Do you want to update both bytes at addresses 0x0 and 0x1 (CASE-III), or just one of them (CASE-I or CASE-II), and in which case, what was the single byte of data you intended to write ?

Children
No data