This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Missing files for calendar_Armv8-A_GCC example

Hello everyone!

I have been in the process of learning how to debug an application on Arm DS, and after searching through many tutorials and folders, I finally found find an example that I am looking for, which is called calendar_ArmV8-A_GCC. This example can be obtained after installing the ARM-DS using the source code (full filepath is: $HOME/DS000-BN-00001-r21p2-00rel0/yes/examples/armv8)

So this example is exactly what I'm looking for as I wish to create a simple C program (such as calendar as provided) and perform input testing to debug through the application (to ensure ARM instructions are working properly).

However, as I am trying to use a different compiler to test (more specifically, gcc-arm-10.3-2021.07-x86_64-aarch64-none-linux-gnu from https://developer.arm.com/tools-and-software/open-source-software/developer-tools/gnu-toolchain/gnu-a/downloads), I came across missing files when I try to compile a program using a default Makefile provided with the example.

From the console, it looks like the following error:

Where a file called aem-ve.specs is missing.

From looking through the Makefile:

# Link with specific base address to suit Base FVP model memory layout
$(LD) --specs=aem-ve.specs -Wl,--build-id=none,-Map=linkmap.txt $^ -o $@

It looks like linkmap.txt is also missing.

Lastly, why are both CC/LD the same? Does this matter?

CC=aarch64-none-elf-gcc
LD=aarch64-none-elf-gcc

I figured LD would be like aarch64-none-linux-gnu-ld for example.

Furthermore, if anyone has a good site that shows how to debug a GCC application from the very start (compilation process, linking, etc), that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you for any input, very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jay

• Edit: I will just close the thread with this post since it answers my original question which was regarding the missing file. I apologize for the confusion.

I found an answer to my own question. Basically, I was using the wrong GCC toolchain.

After downloading an ELF bare-metal target, I was able to find the file I believe:

whereas for aarch64-none-linux-gnu, I cannot find such a file:

Kind regards,

Jay