This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

A53 preload mechanism

Hi,

I am reading the A53 MP Core doc.

My question is related to instruction preloading in aarch64.

In case of a very large block of code with no function calls, I want to make sure the L1 cache is always filled.

Question 1:  Will the PLI instruction first check L2 before trying to fetch from main memory?

Q2: is it a sustainable strategy to call the instruction multiple times at specified offsets? I should load far instructions in L2 first from main memory and then redo it later from L2 to L1?

Thanks

Parents
  • Q1:  For CA-53, PLI is implemented as a NOP.

Q2: It may be possible to be "sustainable". But the instructions you preload may be evicted, too.

CA-53 T.R.M. says

The PRFMs also enable targeting of a prefetch to the L2 cache. When this is the case, a request is sent to L2 to start a linefill, and then the instruction can retire, without any data being returned to L1

• Q1:  For CA-53, PLI is implemented as a NOP.

Q2: It may be possible to be "sustainable". But the instructions you preload may be evicted, too.

CA-53 T.R.M. says

The PRFMs also enable targeting of a prefetch to the L2 cache. When this is the case, a request is sent to L2 to start a linefill, and then the instruction can retire, without any data being returned to L1

Children