This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is there any relationship between BOOT and REMAP in design kit?

Hi Now I'm trying to digging the design kit.

But I cant' find the BOOT relative port or signal and REMAP signal in the design kit.

As I know usually BOOT used such as the following picture

But I can't find any relative interface in the design kit, If I want to test that BOOT signal in the design kit, what am I supposed to do ?

ans one more i have a question.

I came across the REMAP signal stuck as '1', never changed,  is this normal? how to understand the REMAP signal don't update in the design kit?

Parents
  • For most simple devices, it always boot from the same memory space and there is no need to use boot/remap pins. This is very common.

Some microcontrollers provide the boot configuration pin to allow system designer to select which program ROM the system boot up from. Effective it either

1. remap a small memory region starting at address 0x00000000 from one memory space to a different memory space

or

2. a boot loader running from address 0x00000000 detect the status of this pin to decide if it should branch into an application code space as normal or branch into another address space.

In the Cortex-M System Design Kit we have only implement one application ROM area. Although there is an option to have a boot loader ROM, the boot loader code just execute the same application image so there isn't a need to have a boot configuration pin. However, if you extend your system to have multiple application ROM, you could add a boot configuration pin at the system level to achieve the same function.

To do this, typically

- a register is needed to capture the status of the boot configuration pin at reset,

- the status of this register could be read by boot loader to decide which application program space to jump into, or

- map select boot into address 0x00000000 (by controlling the behaviour of address decoder.

regards,

Joseph

• For most simple devices, it always boot from the same memory space and there is no need to use boot/remap pins. This is very common.

Some microcontrollers provide the boot configuration pin to allow system designer to select which program ROM the system boot up from. Effective it either

1. remap a small memory region starting at address 0x00000000 from one memory space to a different memory space

or

2. a boot loader running from address 0x00000000 detect the status of this pin to decide if it should branch into an application code space as normal or branch into another address space.

In the Cortex-M System Design Kit we have only implement one application ROM area. Although there is an option to have a boot loader ROM, the boot loader code just execute the same application image so there isn't a need to have a boot configuration pin. However, if you extend your system to have multiple application ROM, you could add a boot configuration pin at the system level to achieve the same function.

To do this, typically

- a register is needed to capture the status of the boot configuration pin at reset,

- the status of this register could be read by boot loader to decide which application program space to jump into, or

- map select boot into address 0x00000000 (by controlling the behaviour of address decoder.

regards,

Joseph

Children