This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cortex M4 Conditional Branch - Pipeline

Hello all!

So I'm working on a development with a Cortex M4 and there is something i don't understand, I was hoping someone could help clarify this:

This is the code I' using

(Assume R3 content is 1, R6 R8 the address needed to set PIN1, and R11 R9 the address needed to set PIN2)

asm ( "CMP R3,#0 \n\t");

asm ( "BNE NCycles_CapDelay2 \n\t");

/*asm ( "NOP \n\t"

"NOP \n\t" 

"NOP \n\t");*/<-----------------------------------

asm ( "STR R6,[R8] \n\t"); //PIN1 SET

asm ( "STR R11, [R9] \n\t" //PIN2 SET

asm ( "B SOMEWHERE_ELSE\n\t");

asm ("NCycles_CapDelay2: \n\t");

/*asm ( "NOP \n\t"

"NOP \n\t"

"NOP \n\t");*/<-----------------------------------

"STR R6,[R8] \n\t"); //PIN1 SET

asm ("LOOP_NCycles_CapDelay2: \n\t");

asm ( "SUBS R3, #1 \n\t");

asm ( "bne LOOP_NCycles_CapDelay2 \n\t");

asm ( "STR R11, [R9] \n\t" //PIN2 SET

The thing is: If i leave the NOPs commented, the time between PIN1 set and PIN2 set is 7 cycles, and if i UNcomment those NOPs, the time is 1 Cycle (measured externally with OSC)

And when R3=0, the time difference is 0 Cycles (UNcommented NOPs) to 1 Cycle (commented NOPs)

Any ideas with what is happening with the pipeline and conditional Branches here?

Thanks for any ideas.

BR

Parents
  • As you are running the asm through the C compiler rather than the assembler it's possible that the compiler is "optimizing" you code and you are not executing the exact code sequence you think you are.

It might be worth running both builds through fromelf or objdump to check what code is /actually/ being run.

• As you are running the asm through the C compiler rather than the assembler it's possible that the compiler is "optimizing" you code and you are not executing the exact code sequence you think you are.

It might be worth running both builds through fromelf or objdump to check what code is /actually/ being run.

Children