This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What does system memory work actually?

Hi.

Currently. I'm trying to understand about system memory in cortex m3 address map.
most examples are said "there are 2 area such as 0x08000000 Flash memory area and
0x1FFFF000 System memory area.

and I understood that Flash memory area is saving for the execute file and System memory is saving for bootloader.

for example, I can make one hex binary file from build which is using startup_CMSDK_CM3.s and startup_CMSDK_CM3.c in Keil uVision.
Then I put one hex binary file into the STM32 MCU by using JTEG to 0x0800_0000 of flash memory area not system memory area.

I'm not sure the difference between system memory a flash memory and I want to know "What does system memory and area actually work?"

Parents
  • Hi,

Those memory type/regions are not CM3 specific they are a feature of the STM32 memory map so the information should be in the TRM for the particular STM board you are using.

From googling that TRM it looks like there is a 2KB block of memory in the flash controller at 0x1FFFF000 that contains a boot loader and flash programming keys etc.  The flash at 0x08000000 is just flash as far as I can tell.

www.st.com/resource/en/reference_manual/cd00171190.pdf

Pete.

• Hi,

Those memory type/regions are not CM3 specific they are a feature of the STM32 memory map so the information should be in the TRM for the particular STM board you are using.

From googling that TRM it looks like there is a 2KB block of memory in the flash controller at 0x1FFFF000 that contains a boot loader and flash programming keys etc.  The flash at 0x08000000 is just flash as far as I can tell.

www.st.com/resource/en/reference_manual/cd00171190.pdf

Pete.

Children
No data