This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cache Allocation Technology

Hi guys,

I have a question regarding "Cache allocation technology" that is present in Broadwell processors of Intel. Does ARM (aarch32/aarch64) support similar way of partitioning the LLC for a process to access?

• As far as I know there is nothing like that currently defined in ARMv8.

The Cortex-A8 and some older ARM processors have the facility to lock down parts of the L2 cache.  It isn't in newer processors, but Cortex-M processors can use TCM (Tightly-Coupled Memory) to ensure some routines or interrupts are handled efficiently without waiting for DRAM or caches. That is quite a different target though from what Intel aims for with reserving parts of the L3 cache in servers.

I can see ARM would probably need to think a bit about exactly how such a facility would be used and how best to control it, and it would probably be mainly a standardization process for them worrying about things like multiprocessors and virtualization and different models and switching overheads rather than anything directly related to designing a processor. So it may need a partner to say they want the facility and would work to implement it to get them to do something about this.

• Well it seems that Qualcomm's server chips implements this, see the article in AnandTech

Analyzing Falkor’s Microarchitecture: A Deep Dive into Qualcomm’s Centriq 2400 for Windows Server and Linux

second page on L3 quality of service extensions.