This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Using an external clock - experts only

I'm looking to emulate a 6502 on the ARM but I would like to make it cycle accurate so I need some way to interface to an external clock. I can't rely on an internal clock as there are external components that will rely on the external clock as well and the emulator needs to be able to run in lockstep with everything else. One thing to keep in mind is once everything is in working order I will want to increase my clock to several hundred MHz so the mechanism with which I interface with the external clock has to be extremely fast, preferably a pin on the ARM itself that I can poll and sync with. I don't want to utilize interrupts either since the code is performance sensitive. Any ideas on whether this is possible on the ARMv8 such as the A53/A57? From what I understand, the Raspberry Pi 3 uses a low speed protocol for communication and is interrupt based, and for my purposes those two are big no-no's for what I'm doing so that won't work. I'd appreciate some expert advice as this is starting to stretch the limits of what may be possible. 

Parents
  • Hi Anthony,

There's nothing that's defined by the Arm Architecture or the implementation of the Cortex-A processors that fits your needs.

Just taking your RPi mention, though, there are two input clocks to the Generic Timer on the system, one is the "APB" clock (which is half the CPU input clock, and varies dependent on that) and the other is the 19.2MHz oscillator. Since the Generic Timer architecture dictates that the clock must tick at a constant rate (although it may update more slowly, it must still keep time at the same fundamental rate) the platform firmware moves the clock to the 19.2MHz oscillator.

Your problem using some input clock and sampling it is interrupt latency. Being cycle accurate to a particular input clock relies on sampling that data, getting an interrupt, and servicing it in a timely manner. There could be anything from tens to thousands of cycles between the event generated by the timer and actually taking an interrupt and executing the handler. The other issue of using clock inputs and sampling data is that the most convenient way of sampling the Generic Timer clock architecturally requires ISB barriers (an interrupt will give you the same effect here) to prevent the timer value from being speculatively read some time ahead of where you'd want to read it in terms of program flow.

Anyway if you need a 100s MHz clock on an RPi just change the core clock, don't switch over to the 19.2MHz clock. You can read CNTPCT_EL0 (or CNTVCT_EL0, preferably) to get the current count value and use CNT_TVAL_EL0 as a downcounter so you know how much time you're spending missing events (if you set it to '19200000' you'll see it count down towards 0 over the course of a second. After that it counts backwards, so after another second it'll reflect -19200000. Obviously a faster input clock will count faster..). This will allow you to set the downcounter the next time to get a constant rate dependent on work, i.e. if you see the value -350000 in TVAL at the point you execute the code you want, then to get a strict interval you can simply add it to the interval you would have used in the first place.. that is actually quite efficient to do.

If you need to change the clock rate then the Generic Timer isn't for you, but most SoCs have other timers in the system IP. They usually have clock roots on high speed PLLs, divided down to sub-100MHz speeds. The one in the RPi, I have no idea what rate it ticks at since I've never bothered to use it - and it has no way of telling you what the input clock speed is. You could measure it with the known 19.2MHz rate of the Generic Timer, though :D

The code for the ARMv8 stub loader is in the raspberrypi github's 'tools' repository, and the counter configuration is relatively easy to see and documents what it is doing. It's also documented in the peripherals datasheet on the RaspberryPi website.

Ta,

Matt

• Hi Anthony,

There's nothing that's defined by the Arm Architecture or the implementation of the Cortex-A processors that fits your needs.

Just taking your RPi mention, though, there are two input clocks to the Generic Timer on the system, one is the "APB" clock (which is half the CPU input clock, and varies dependent on that) and the other is the 19.2MHz oscillator. Since the Generic Timer architecture dictates that the clock must tick at a constant rate (although it may update more slowly, it must still keep time at the same fundamental rate) the platform firmware moves the clock to the 19.2MHz oscillator.

Your problem using some input clock and sampling it is interrupt latency. Being cycle accurate to a particular input clock relies on sampling that data, getting an interrupt, and servicing it in a timely manner. There could be anything from tens to thousands of cycles between the event generated by the timer and actually taking an interrupt and executing the handler. The other issue of using clock inputs and sampling data is that the most convenient way of sampling the Generic Timer clock architecturally requires ISB barriers (an interrupt will give you the same effect here) to prevent the timer value from being speculatively read some time ahead of where you'd want to read it in terms of program flow.

Anyway if you need a 100s MHz clock on an RPi just change the core clock, don't switch over to the 19.2MHz clock. You can read CNTPCT_EL0 (or CNTVCT_EL0, preferably) to get the current count value and use CNT_TVAL_EL0 as a downcounter so you know how much time you're spending missing events (if you set it to '19200000' you'll see it count down towards 0 over the course of a second. After that it counts backwards, so after another second it'll reflect -19200000. Obviously a faster input clock will count faster..). This will allow you to set the downcounter the next time to get a constant rate dependent on work, i.e. if you see the value -350000 in TVAL at the point you execute the code you want, then to get a strict interval you can simply add it to the interval you would have used in the first place.. that is actually quite efficient to do.

If you need to change the clock rate then the Generic Timer isn't for you, but most SoCs have other timers in the system IP. They usually have clock roots on high speed PLLs, divided down to sub-100MHz speeds. The one in the RPi, I have no idea what rate it ticks at since I've never bothered to use it - and it has no way of telling you what the input clock speed is. You could measure it with the known 19.2MHz rate of the Generic Timer, though :D

The code for the ARMv8 stub loader is in the raspberrypi github's 'tools' repository, and the counter configuration is relatively easy to see and documents what it is doing. It's also documented in the peripherals datasheet on the RaspberryPi website.

Ta,

Matt

Children
No data