This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Using an external clock - experts only

I'm looking to emulate a 6502 on the ARM but I would like to make it cycle accurate so I need some way to interface to an external clock. I can't rely on an internal clock as there are external components that will rely on the external clock as well and the emulator needs to be able to run in lockstep with everything else. One thing to keep in mind is once everything is in working order I will want to increase my clock to several hundred MHz so the mechanism with which I interface with the external clock has to be extremely fast, preferably a pin on the ARM itself that I can poll and sync with. I don't want to utilize interrupts either since the code is performance sensitive. Any ideas on whether this is possible on the ARMv8 such as the A53/A57? From what I understand, the Raspberry Pi 3 uses a low speed protocol for communication and is interrupt based, and for my purposes those two are big no-no's for what I'm doing so that won't work. I'd appreciate some expert advice as this is starting to stretch the limits of what may be possible. 

Parents Reply Children
No data