This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why Cortex-R5 Bus-ECC documentation different from Cortex-R7

Hello Support,

In the Cortex-R5 TRM [Section 9.1.1 -- Bus ECC -- Chapter is  Level Two Interface] I see the following statement:

"

It is possible that fatal, that is double-bit, ECC errors

might cause more data corruption. This can result in the CPU operating on corrupted data, or

behaving unpredictably, based on corrupted control or response signals.

"

In the Cortex-R7 TRM [Section 11.1 -- About L2 Interface] I am unable to find anything similar to above related to Bus ECC,

Can you please help me understand whether Bus ECC within Cortex-R7 implementation doesn't have that limitation as Cortex-R5 for AXI Level 2 Master Interface?

Thank you.

Regards

Pashan

Parents
  • Hi pashan,

I think both Cortex-R5 and R7 L2 memory interface have the same ECC secheme.
    They are SECDED (i.e. Single Error Correcton, Double Errors Detection).
    In the Cortex-R7 TRM [Section 7.2.4 ECC on external AXI bus], there are the following descriptions.

• For single-bit errors, an inline correction is provided. A primary error detection
    notification output signal is raised at the same time. The inline correction implies some
    extra cycles of memory latency.
    Inline correction is not done on the TCM AXI slave port.

• Double-bit errors only raise a primary error detection notification output signal. The
    system must determine the correct action in this case, such as an interrupt to the processor.

Best regards,
    Yasuhiko Koumoto.

• Hi pashan,

I think both Cortex-R5 and R7 L2 memory interface have the same ECC secheme.
    They are SECDED (i.e. Single Error Correcton, Double Errors Detection).
    In the Cortex-R7 TRM [Section 7.2.4 ECC on external AXI bus], there are the following descriptions.

• For single-bit errors, an inline correction is provided. A primary error detection
    notification output signal is raised at the same time. The inline correction implies some
    extra cycles of memory latency.
    Inline correction is not done on the TCM AXI slave port.

• Double-bit errors only raise a primary error detection notification output signal. The
    system must determine the correct action in this case, such as an interrupt to the processor.

Best regards,
    Yasuhiko Koumoto.

Children