This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cache Coherence

Hi ,

I am working on ARM Multiprocessor. The Following is scenario for Cache coherency . Please let me know if it is valid.

1. Bring Core 1 out of reset.

2. Bring Core 2 out of reset.

3. Invalidate Core 2 data cache. Enable data cache.Set SMP mode with ACTLR.SMP. Enable MMU.

4. Enable SCU . Invalidate TAG rams. Invalidate L2 cache. Enable L2 cache.

5. Invalidate Core 1 data cache. Enable data cache. Set SMP mode with ACTLR.SMP. Enable MMU.

6. Core1 Initiate  cache-able Write  access to location 10 with Data 'h5. (Data stored in L1 cache)

7. Core2 Initiate  cache -able Read access to location 10 .

8. Should the data  expected  by Core 2 is 'h5 or the memory data ?.

Regards,

Rohan

Parents
  • I would expect Core 2 to see the value written by Core 1, due to cache coherency.

This is based on a couple of assumptions...

Your basic steps sound fine (I might quibble about the order of some of them...), but I'm assuming that the written location is marked as coherent (i.e. Normal, cacheable, WB/WA, shareable).  Also that you've taken the necessary steps to ensure synchronization, that is the core 2 read happens after core 1's write.  Which probably means barriers.

• I would expect Core 2 to see the value written by Core 1, due to cache coherency.

This is based on a couple of assumptions...

Your basic steps sound fine (I might quibble about the order of some of them...), but I'm assuming that the written location is marked as coherent (i.e. Normal, cacheable, WB/WA, shareable).  Also that you've taken the necessary steps to ensure synchronization, that is the core 2 read happens after core 1's write.  Which probably means barriers.

Children