This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

AXI ID BITS , help to understand

Hello ,

i can see that AXI have some bits : AWID ARID BID ARID RID , those bits role is trasaction ordering , well i want to know how axi form those bits , i heard (i dont know if it is true) that a master can use those bits to find his path to the slave (though multiple interconnects) , (i heard many people talk for those bits as thread bits ), i would like too know how can i test those bits with vivado  ? (any ideas ) , how does those bits affect ordering restrictions  on AXI?

tnx you

Parents
  • hi rentoumis,

The AXI bits are used to link together the parts of a write transaction occuring on the AW, W and B channels, or the AR and R channels for a read transaction. That is their primary function.

It would be up to the AXI master design what it might use particular AXI encodings for, so the ID could indicate which sub-block within the master is generating the transaction request, or as you suggested, they could indicate a processing "thread" if the master supports multiple threads (operations that can occur in parallel).

The AXI protocol has various ordering requirements for transactions using different IDs, but the best place to read about those requirements would be in the AXI protocol.

The AXI interconnect logic between the AXI master and AXI slave might add extra bits to the AWID, ARID and WID signals generated by the AXI master so that it can route any responses from the final slave on the R or B channels back to the correct AXI master, but those additional ID bits would not be seen by the AXI master, only the AXI slave. So these "routing" bits are generated by the AXI interconnect, not the AXI master, and what you have heard about a master using those ID bits to find his path through to the slave isn't correct.

Regarding how to use Vivado, as that looks to be a Xilinx software suite you would be better to send that question to Xilinx.

JD

• hi rentoumis,

The AXI bits are used to link together the parts of a write transaction occuring on the AW, W and B channels, or the AR and R channels for a read transaction. That is their primary function.

It would be up to the AXI master design what it might use particular AXI encodings for, so the ID could indicate which sub-block within the master is generating the transaction request, or as you suggested, they could indicate a processing "thread" if the master supports multiple threads (operations that can occur in parallel).

The AXI protocol has various ordering requirements for transactions using different IDs, but the best place to read about those requirements would be in the AXI protocol.

The AXI interconnect logic between the AXI master and AXI slave might add extra bits to the AWID, ARID and WID signals generated by the AXI master so that it can route any responses from the final slave on the R or B channels back to the correct AXI master, but those additional ID bits would not be seen by the AXI master, only the AXI slave. So these "routing" bits are generated by the AXI interconnect, not the AXI master, and what you have heard about a master using those ID bits to find his path through to the slave isn't correct.

Regarding how to use Vivado, as that looks to be a Xilinx software suite you would be better to send that question to Xilinx.

JD

Children