This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cortex-M1 on Actel - how to start?

Hello ARM Community,

some time ago I started with Cortex-M1 core on Actel Proasic3L FPGA. I don't have much experience, but I have development board without working example:) I tried to follow Actel's tutorials and create simple LED blinking application, but I got stuck. Unfortunately Actel's support can't help me, at least not now, they don't have working dev board with my FPGA and can't duplicate my issue. Now my case is closed, because they wait for new PCBs. I wait more than month and I decided to ask you here for help, because I need to proceed.

In this first project I want just to read 10 switches and turn on/off 10 LEDs. I created Cortex-M1 with peripherals from Actel IPcores. It has CortexM1 core, CoreAHBLite, CoreMemCtrl, CoreAHB2APB, CoreAhbSram, CoreAPB and CoreGPIO. In this case I think that memory map is important.

CoreAHBLite has:

CoreAddressSlot
CoreMemCtrl0x000000000
CoreAhbSram0x200000002
CoreAHB2APB0xA000000010

CoreAPB has:

CoreAddreessSlot
CoreGPIO0xA00000000

I can synthesize it and load into FPGA. Then I use SoftConsole IDE to prepare application, it is simple, but I'm not sure if correct:

#include "hal.h"

#include "CortexM1_Top_hw_platform.h"

#include "core_gpio.h"

#define GPOUT_INIT_STATE        0x00000000

gpio_instance_t g_gpio;

int main()

{

uint32_t io_state;

/**************************************************************************

* Initialize the CoreGPIO driver with the base address of the CoreGPIO

* instance to use and the initial state of the outputs.

*************************************************************************/

GPIO_init( &g_gpio,    COREGPIO_BASE_ADDR, GPOUT_INIT_STATE );

while( 1 )

{

/**********************************************************************

* Read inputs.

*********************************************************************/

io_state = GPIO_get_input( &g_gpio );

/**********************************************************************

* Write state of inputs back to the outputs.

*********************************************************************/

GPIO_set_output( &g_gpio, io_state );

}

}

I build it in Debug and tried to debug, but all what I see is the console output:

source .gdbinit

set arm fallback-mode thumb

target remote | "C:/Microsemi/Libero_v11.4/SoftConsole/Eclipse//../Sourcery-G++/bin/arm-none-eabi-sprite" flashpro:?cpu=Cortex-M1 "C:/Users/ds/Documents/FPGA/CortexM1_Test2/SoftConsole/CortexM1_Top_CortexM1Top_0/CortexM1_Top_CortexM1Top_0_app/Debug"

arm-none-eabi-sprite: Using memory map C:/Users/ds/Documents/FPGA/CortexM1_Test2/SoftConsole/CortexM1_Top_CortexM1Top_0/CortexM1_Top_CortexM1Top_0_app/Debug/memory-map.xml

arm-none-eabi-sprite: Target reset

0x00000000 in __text_start ()

set mem inaccessible-by-default off

load

Loading section .text, size 0x2f4 lma 0x0

Loading section .data, size 0x4 lma 0x2f4

Start address 0x64, load size 760

Transfer rate: 18 KB/sec, 380 bytes/write.

monitor debug-reset

thb main

Hardware assisted breakpoint 1 at 0x36: file ../main.c, line 18.

cont

Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.

0x00000000 in __text_start ()

Could you give me any hint what to do with it?

Parents
  • Daniel,

I've had similar issues.  I'm using the A3PL development board from Microsemi.

I've been successful reading the switches, driving the LEDs, tx/rx with the UART, a 3rd party CAN IP,  running from 32 bit flash, and the external RAM.

You may have a couple of issues.

First, please make sure the CoreMemCtlr is configured as follows:

SRAM mode -> Asynchronous

Flash data bus width 32

Flash wait states: 1,1

SRAM wait states: 0,1

Read/Wrte enables shared: No

Flash Addressing: 0,0,HADDR[27:2]

SRAM Addressing: 0,0,HADDR[27:2]

Please remember to connect the address lints to MADDR[0:23].  While the schematic shows MEM_ADDR2-MEM_ADDR25,

the CoreMemCtlr will drive the lines with the CPU bus A2-A25 if configured above.

The second issue is probably the default compiler options for your project.  I'm not an expert with all the different settings,

but I found out that if you remove the options listed as"Other Options (-Xlinker [options])" in the GNU C Linker -> Miscellaneous tab, things

seem to work.

• Daniel,

I've had similar issues.  I'm using the A3PL development board from Microsemi.

I've been successful reading the switches, driving the LEDs, tx/rx with the UART, a 3rd party CAN IP,  running from 32 bit flash, and the external RAM.

You may have a couple of issues.

First, please make sure the CoreMemCtlr is configured as follows:

SRAM mode -> Asynchronous

Flash data bus width 32

Flash wait states: 1,1

SRAM wait states: 0,1

Read/Wrte enables shared: No

Flash Addressing: 0,0,HADDR[27:2]

SRAM Addressing: 0,0,HADDR[27:2]

Please remember to connect the address lints to MADDR[0:23].  While the schematic shows MEM_ADDR2-MEM_ADDR25,

the CoreMemCtlr will drive the lines with the CPU bus A2-A25 if configured above.

The second issue is probably the default compiler options for your project.  I'm not an expert with all the different settings,

but I found out that if you remove the options listed as"Other Options (-Xlinker [options])" in the GNU C Linker -> Miscellaneous tab, things

seem to work.

Children