This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How do you use the embedded debug probe on the Morello hardware board to connect to Development Studio (Morello Edition)?

The Morello Edition of Development Studio user guide states: “If you are debugging code on the Arm Morello System Development Platform, you can either use the embedded debug probe on the board, or you can attach one of the supported debug hardware probes.”

How do you use the embedded debug probe on the board to connect to Development Studio for bare-metal development and debugging? And what are the steps to follow?

A USB debug cable to the host computer came with the Morello hardware. I have used this to talk to the com ports and set up time/date as per the set up instructions. Is the embedded debug accessed via this same cable?

Also to set up a hardware debug connection (instead of model connection to FVP) in Development Studio, it seems to require hardware packs to be downloaded, is there one available for Morello?, is it required for the embedded debug?

Many thanks

Parents
  • Hello, I'm a beginner trying to debug a baremetal application running on the Morello board.

I followed the "
    User Guide" and "Running a standalone baremetal application" documents from release1.4. I created the "fip.bin" from "helloworld" executable, and copied it to "SOFTWARE" directory of storage device that pops up after plugging Debug USB cable. The AP port prints "hello" correctly. In Arm Development Studio 2022.0M0 I followed steps from the answer to the original question and I was able to view the following:

Below is the configuration I used:

I can see that some information is outputted like disassembly, memory contents, and registers. But there are errors and warnings in the "Commnads" tab like:

"ERROR(CMD16-COR107):
    ! Failed to load "helloworld"
    ! Unable to detect image type of file "/home/michal/morello_board/standalone_build/helloworld/helloworld""

"WARNING(CMD399-CMD38-CMD722):
    ! Failed to start the target
    ! The string "$ENTRYPOINT" cannot be interpreted as a positive int
    ! Entry point not set
    WARNING(CMD407): Trying the entry point instead
    ERROR(CMD426): Cannot find symbol to start or entrypoint, the file or load commands may be used to set the entrypoint"

Do you know what I may be doing wrong?

Also, should I somehow modify the compilation commands to output a file with symbols?

I assume that typically in IDE like this, it is possible to compile a program, set a breakpoint, run the program (possibly on external hardware), examine its state during a breakpoint and then proceed with execution, stepping line by line. Is such "line by line stepping" possible using Arm Development Studio 2022.0M0 and Morello board?

Thank you in advance.

• Hello, I'm a beginner trying to debug a baremetal application running on the Morello board.

I followed the "
    User Guide" and "Running a standalone baremetal application" documents from release1.4. I created the "fip.bin" from "helloworld" executable, and copied it to "SOFTWARE" directory of storage device that pops up after plugging Debug USB cable. The AP port prints "hello" correctly. In Arm Development Studio 2022.0M0 I followed steps from the answer to the original question and I was able to view the following:

Below is the configuration I used:

I can see that some information is outputted like disassembly, memory contents, and registers. But there are errors and warnings in the "Commnads" tab like:

"ERROR(CMD16-COR107):
    ! Failed to load "helloworld"
    ! Unable to detect image type of file "/home/michal/morello_board/standalone_build/helloworld/helloworld""

"WARNING(CMD399-CMD38-CMD722):
    ! Failed to start the target
    ! The string "$ENTRYPOINT" cannot be interpreted as a positive int
    ! Entry point not set
    WARNING(CMD407): Trying the entry point instead
    ERROR(CMD426): Cannot find symbol to start or entrypoint, the file or load commands may be used to set the entrypoint"

Do you know what I may be doing wrong?

Also, should I somehow modify the compilation commands to output a file with symbols?

I assume that typically in IDE like this, it is possible to compile a program, set a breakpoint, run the program (possibly on external hardware), examine its state during a breakpoint and then proceed with execution, stepping line by line. Is such "line by line stepping" possible using Arm Development Studio 2022.0M0 and Morello board?

Thank you in advance.

Children