This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Being professional at debugging

Hi,
I have a lots of problems to find out my mistakes during debugging.And Hardfault errors annoy me a lot when I use cmsis library. I have read different online sources that the best way is to check .map files.

Could you introduce me some good references to be professional at debugging and cover all kinds of errors(basic to professional)?(video pdf )

Thanks

• Understand what you are doing, and have good problem solving skills.

Not sure videos are going to get that done.

Read the documentation for the chips and languages you are using and make less mistakes expressing your ideas/algorithms.

Hard Faults should be easy enough to debug, the processor points you at the exact piece of code, and the registers, that cause the fault. A while(1) loop in the Handler is probably your first mistake.

• What all problems are you having ?

Did you play around with example projects from the Pack Installer to understand the basics of CMSIS and middleware components ?

• You will need a good understanding of the device(s) you are using, the language(s) you are using, the tools you are using, etc.

With embedded microcontrollers, you will also need a working understanding of electronics.

You need to have adequate test equipment, and be proficient in its use.

But the key tool is the one between your ears - you need to Observe what is happening, Understand what should be happening, and THINK about what could cause the discrepancies:

www.8052.com/.../120313

www.ganssle.com/.../developingagoodbedsidemanner.htm