This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

STM32F4 GPIO->BSRRH does not always work

The issue that I am having is with two lines of code that uses GPIO_->BSRRH to control the output pins of an STM32F407. This works very well for thousands to 100K+ consecutive cycles, then misses once at an apparent random interval. This controls some leds, and the occasional flash is very irritating. I have been fighting this on and off for some time and have not found anything similar.

LEDs are turned in during a timer ISR running 70 times per second. This starts a second timer and turns on LEDs as needed:

TIM2->CR1 = 1;                          // start the led timer
      if(mg[MG1_BUI_LedBlue])
        GPIOH->BSRRL = 0x0004;                // blue led turn on
      if(mg[MG1_BUI_LedGreen])
        GPIOG->BSRRL = 0x0040;                // green led turn on
      if(mg[MG1_BUI_LedYellow])
        GPIOG->BSRRL = 0x0080;                // yellow led turn on
      if(mg[MG1_BUI_LedRed])
        GPIOG->BSRRL = 0x0100;                // red led turn on

When the second timer times out, an ISR turns the LEDs off:

void TIM2_IRQHandler(void)
{
  GPIOH->BSRRH = 0x0004;                  // blue led turn off
  GPIOG->BSRRH = 0x01C0;                  // G,Y,R led turn off
  TIM2->CR1 = 0;                          // stop the timer
  if(TIM2->SR)
    TIM2->SR  = 0;                        // clear UIF flag
}

I have verified that there is ALWAYS a second ISR for every turn-on, that it performs the write, and that the contents of the GPIO_->ODR have been properly cleared to zero. But, on extremely rare occasions, the output pins are set again shortly afterwards. I have searched through code, and have not found any other places where these GPIO registers are used. Has anyone else experienced any issues with the BSRRH?

Parents
  • Your IRQ Handler should qualify the source before acting. The Cortex-M3/M4 will reenter interrupts if the NVIC still signals a source because the write buffers to the peripheral have not cleared the source yet. Clearing the interrupt as the last thing you do is thus ill advised.

Remember the core is pipelined, writes are deferred, and might be on significantly slower buses.

• Your IRQ Handler should qualify the source before acting. The Cortex-M3/M4 will reenter interrupts if the NVIC still signals a source because the write buffers to the peripheral have not cleared the source yet. Clearing the interrupt as the last thing you do is thus ill advised.

Remember the core is pipelined, writes are deferred, and might be on significantly slower buses.

Children