This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Lookup Assembler (Area - DATA) with Mixed C/Assembler

Hello,
I was wondering if someone could give me some assistance. I am current using the TM4C1294 - Tiva micro-controller and attempting to store a few lists which I would like to use in a Main.c file.
The lists are a little too big to store the data inside my program. (I also need to access the consistently within the nanosecond timeframe (<<100 ns).

The program consists of main.c (C & ASM), system_tm4c129.c,TM4C1294NCPDT.h & startup_TM4C129.s

I have attempted to store data in "startup_TM4C129.s" (Right at the end)

AREA Table, DATA, READONLY
STANDARD_COLOURS DCB 0,0,0,0 ;No Colour / OFF DCB 255,0,0,0 ;Green DCB 0,255,0,0 ;Red
And the list goes on....

The data can be successfully compiled however I am unsure about whether this data can make it past the complication stage (I doubt it).

I am trying to access this list from my main.c(within an assembly insertion) and all I can typically get is #29: expected an expression (LDR R5, =STANDARD_COLOURS). I have been editing the startup.s file but I can't seem to get this working.

I am trying to transfer the address of the table STANDARD_COLOURS(starup.s) to a register so that I can perform successive fast calculations in a consistent manner.

In the past (Solely Assembly program) I have been able to run through a data table but I may have complicated things by trying to use mixed assembly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I have spent a considerable amount of time but my expertise is definitely not in programming...

Parents
  • The lists are a little too big to store the data inside my program.

So why are you trying so hard to put that data inside your program, then? Just because you spell them in asm doesn't make them any less part of your program!

On a related note, neither the size of the data nor the access speed you need is a valid reason to switch to assembly for setting up the tables. Given you're not a great expert in programming, by your own words, chances are really quite slim that you could do any better in hand-written assembler than the C compiler would, if you just avoided getting in its way. Most likely you'll just have made your part of the job a lot harder than it needs to be.

• The lists are a little too big to store the data inside my program.

So why are you trying so hard to put that data inside your program, then? Just because you spell them in asm doesn't make them any less part of your program!

On a related note, neither the size of the data nor the access speed you need is a valid reason to switch to assembly for setting up the tables. Given you're not a great expert in programming, by your own words, chances are really quite slim that you could do any better in hand-written assembler than the C compiler would, if you just avoided getting in its way. Most likely you'll just have made your part of the job a lot harder than it needs to be.

Children