Which arm microcontroller to choose?

Hello everyone!

I wanted to learn about the ARM microcontrollers....about the architecture and coding. Which microcontroller should I buy? I read somewhere that I should buy the STM32 discovery board. Please help!

Parents
  • There is more than one possible answer to your question.

Which microcontroller you should buy very much depends on what you are trying to do with it.

Do you actually need a 180MHz M4 with LCD and SDRAM controller?

If you don't need a lot of processing power your may also want to consider the less complex Cortex M0+ products. (eg. STM32L0, ATSAMD21, LPC8xx etc)

ST, Atmel and NXP all have cheap and readily available eval boards and software tools available.

This may also be a better entry point for somebody unfamiliar with ARM products.

If you do want to go for an M4 solution then STM32L4 family is a low power alternative to the high performance STM32F4.

Still on the theme of ST solutions the discovery boards are not the only option, you may also want to look at the NUCLEO boards.

Try www.st.com/stmcufinder  also available as an App on iPhone or Android.

Hope this helps.

• There is more than one possible answer to your question.

Which microcontroller you should buy very much depends on what you are trying to do with it.

Do you actually need a 180MHz M4 with LCD and SDRAM controller?

If you don't need a lot of processing power your may also want to consider the less complex Cortex M0+ products. (eg. STM32L0, ATSAMD21, LPC8xx etc)

ST, Atmel and NXP all have cheap and readily available eval boards and software tools available.

This may also be a better entry point for somebody unfamiliar with ARM products.

If you do want to go for an M4 solution then STM32L4 family is a low power alternative to the high performance STM32F4.

Still on the theme of ST solutions the discovery boards are not the only option, you may also want to look at the NUCLEO boards.

Try www.st.com/stmcufinder  also available as an App on iPhone or Android.

Hope this helps.

Children
No data