GICv3&4 : What is the purpose of Direct Injection of Virtual Interrupts.?

Hi Everyone,

Its true that Hypervisor inserts interrupt in the virtual machine.

But, GICv4 also tells that it supports direct injection of virtual interrupts  which means that, interrupt can be inserted directly to VM from Redistributor without involvement of Hypervisor.

Indicated by Register : ICH_VTR_EL2

Field                           : nV4

If this field bit is:

0 - Supports Direct Injection of Virtual Interrupts

1 - Does not Support Direct Injection of Virtual Interrupts.

So, from above statement can you please help me in understanding about,

- In what scenarios does this direct injection of Virtual Interrupts happen..?

- Is that okay, if Hypervisor is not updated about the virtual interrupt and virtual interrupt is  directly inserted from Redistributor to VM.

- Can you also please tell me what is the advantage of having this feature.

Above doubts arose as per my understanding on reading GICv4 Document. If i am missing any clarity please excuse & suggest me. I am happy to take anything.

Thanks in advance,

Rakesh.

Parents
  • GICv4 adds support for Directly Injected Virtual LPIs (DIVL).

DIVL only works for interrupts that come via the ITS.  It works by the Hypervisor describing to the ITS in advance how physical events map to virtual interrupts.  If the target vCPU is running when the interrupt occurs, the virtual interrupt gets inserted without any additional Hypervisor involvement. If not, the virtual interrupt gets recorded as being pending for next time the vCPU is run.

To understand the benefit, you have to think would happen without DIVL.

1. Interrupt occurs
    2. Physical interrupt gets delivered to processor, taken to EL2 (hypervisor)
    3. Hypervisor determines interrupt source, decides to forward to vCPU and updates List Register
    4. Exception return to re-enter vCPU
    5. Virtual interrupt gets delivered

DIVL removes steps 2-4, reducing the run-time overhead associated with passing the interrupt to the vCPU.

DIVL isn't free.  It takes some extra logic to implement, it requires additional set up (telling the ITS about the mappings) and adds some work to context switching (telling the GIC which vCPU is now running).  So as with all processor features, you have to weigh the cost against the benefits.

For the basics of the ITS works try this application note:

GICv3 Software Overview

Note: We are currently working on updating the GICv3 application note to also cover virtualization and GICv4.

• GICv4 adds support for Directly Injected Virtual LPIs (DIVL).

DIVL only works for interrupts that come via the ITS.  It works by the Hypervisor describing to the ITS in advance how physical events map to virtual interrupts.  If the target vCPU is running when the interrupt occurs, the virtual interrupt gets inserted without any additional Hypervisor involvement. If not, the virtual interrupt gets recorded as being pending for next time the vCPU is run.

To understand the benefit, you have to think would happen without DIVL.

1. Interrupt occurs
    2. Physical interrupt gets delivered to processor, taken to EL2 (hypervisor)
    3. Hypervisor determines interrupt source, decides to forward to vCPU and updates List Register
    4. Exception return to re-enter vCPU
    5. Virtual interrupt gets delivered

DIVL removes steps 2-4, reducing the run-time overhead associated with passing the interrupt to the vCPU.

DIVL isn't free.  It takes some extra logic to implement, it requires additional set up (telling the ITS about the mappings) and adds some work to context switching (telling the GIC which vCPU is now running).  So as with all processor features, you have to weigh the cost against the benefits.

For the basics of the ITS works try this application note:

GICv3 Software Overview

Note: We are currently working on updating the GICv3 application note to also cover virtualization and GICv4.

Children