This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Create own Fixed Virtual Platform

Hi all,

I am working with the AEMv8 Base FVP and the DS-5. I  tried to change some settings of the FVP components but was not successful with that. So I assume that this is not possible with the Base FVP. I am a bit confused regarding the product portfolio of ARM. Which products/licenses do I need to change the settings of an existing FVP or  to create an own FVP with the components I want? How does the process of creating an own FVP look like, do I need the SoC Designer Tool for this?

• FVP stands for Fixed Virtual Platform, the processor(s)/memory map/peripherals are fixed.  Most FVPs will have some parameters to tweak the model, say to enable/disable trace, but you can't make major changes.

FVPs are built using ARM's Fast Models tool.  The Fast Models tool gives you a library of component models (processors, peripherals, etc), which you can connect up to make your own platform.  You can also create component models of your own IP, and include those within the platform.  When you hit build, the tool produces what's effectively a custom FVP.

SoC Designer and Fast Models are conceptually similar.  They both give you a library of components, which you can connect up to make your own platforms.  The big difference is that Fast Models are functional models - not cycle accurate.  They give much faster simulation speeds, by not modelling all the low level micro-architectural features.