This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

AArch64 code execution on Raspberry Pi3.

Hello everybody,

does everyone know whether Raspberry Pi3 can execute 64bit applications?

Even reading some articles, I am uncertain the following things.

Please let me know the answers.

1. Is Raspbian for Raspberry Pi3 compiled by AArch64 architecture?

2. Does the compiler of Raspbian for Raspberry Pi3 generate AArch64 codes?

3. Otherwise, can only AArch32 codes be executable on Raspbian for Raspberry Pi3?

Thank you in advance and best regards,

Yasuhiko Koumoto.

Parents
  • Hi,

I wouldn't want to stop other people commenting, but... This page is for the development platforms ARM supply directly, rather than ARM platforms generally. Sadly it's hard to make the page title clearer without making it very long :-(

I think you need to ask the Raspberry Pi Community directly. Raspberry Pi 3 on sale now at $35 - Raspberry Pi to get definitive answers.

Obviouly the Pi3 uses an ARM v8 processor implementation that does suport AArch64, so this is all about the state of the supplied software stack. I suspect this quote... "At launch, we are using the same 32-bit Raspbian userland that we use on other Raspberry Pi devices; over the next few months we will investigate whether there is value in moving to 64-bit mode." ...means they are currently using an AArch64 Linux kernel with a 32bit userspace filesystem. Which means you can only run 32but applications.

It's possible to support a "multiarch" filesystem (supporting both AArch32 and AArch64 applications & libs) - but you'd need to ask the Raspberry Pi folks about their plans for this.

MarkN.

• Hi,

I wouldn't want to stop other people commenting, but... This page is for the development platforms ARM supply directly, rather than ARM platforms generally. Sadly it's hard to make the page title clearer without making it very long :-(

I think you need to ask the Raspberry Pi Community directly. Raspberry Pi 3 on sale now at $35 - Raspberry Pi to get definitive answers.

Obviouly the Pi3 uses an ARM v8 processor implementation that does suport AArch64, so this is all about the state of the supplied software stack. I suspect this quote... "At launch, we are using the same 32-bit Raspbian userland that we use on other Raspberry Pi devices; over the next few months we will investigate whether there is value in moving to 64-bit mode." ...means they are currently using an AArch64 Linux kernel with a 32bit userspace filesystem. Which means you can only run 32but applications.

It's possible to support a "multiarch" filesystem (supporting both AArch32 and AArch64 applications & libs) - but you'd need to ask the Raspberry Pi folks about their plans for this.

MarkN.

Children