This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How could Juno board run a Big-Endian kernel?

Hi All,

I want lauch Big-Endian(instructions little endian, data big endian) kernel on Juno board. I compiled the kernel with "CONFIG_CPU_BIG_ENDIAN = y".

I also confirmed that the Image's instructions compiled in little endian mode and data compiled in big endian. But I found this kernel couldn't work on Juno

board, so I need some help about this situation.

How could Juno board run a Big-Endian kernel?  Is there any information about big endian kernel run on a ARMv8 based SoC? Appreciate for any help.

Thanks

Best regards

• Hello,

For the record, from ARM's perspective there is *no* official support for Big Endian on the Juno Platform.  The core and interconnect can be configured for either little or big endian, but we haven't tested a big endian configuration and there may be significant issues to overcome. These issues could be hardware (with some peripherals) and/or software related (obviously there's more to the Juno SW stack than just the kernel).

This doesn't mean it can't be made to work. Partly it might depend on the scope of what you want working. It just means we don't claim to support it.

Obviously you are free to experiment. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has tried this and has any relevant experience which might help you.

MarkN.

ARM Support.