This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Gator/Streamline support for both A57/A53

When connecting Streamline to Juno, all I see are A53 counters.  Any chance of getting the A57 (or better yet both) sets of counters or is HMP Streamline fundamentally broken?

-eric

Parents
  • Hi Eric,

The issue is that the Linux kernel does not currently support collecting data from multiple CPU PMUs. As such it only displays one of the PMUs - in the case of the Juno development platform it chooses the Cortex-A53's PMU.

There is a fix to the kernel currently being prepared to address this problem.

In the mean time while you are not able to see the Cortex-A57's counters explicitly, there is sufficient similarity between the cores that collecting the Cortex-A53's counters will allow you to read most values from the Cortex-A57 cluster as well - i.e. if you collect data from a Cortex-A53 counter it will, providing that counter exists on the Cortex-A57 as well, collect from both clusters.

Once the Linux kernel supports having multiple types of PMU counters it should work as expected.

Hope that helps,

Jon

• Hi Eric,

The issue is that the Linux kernel does not currently support collecting data from multiple CPU PMUs. As such it only displays one of the PMUs - in the case of the Juno development platform it chooses the Cortex-A53's PMU.

There is a fix to the kernel currently being prepared to address this problem.

In the mean time while you are not able to see the Cortex-A57's counters explicitly, there is sufficient similarity between the cores that collecting the Cortex-A53's counters will allow you to read most values from the Cortex-A57 cluster as well - i.e. if you collect data from a Cortex-A53 counter it will, providing that counter exists on the Cortex-A57 as well, collect from both clusters.

Once the Linux kernel supports having multiple types of PMU counters it should work as expected.

Hope that helps,

Jon

Children